TWIC Card

Just got this from NACO.....

So far the current status is that you must get a TWIC card if you have a merchant's license. The Congressman who introduced the exemption legislation was not reelected so we are attempting to get support from someone else to reintroduce it. However, you can go to tsa.gov to reenroll at your local office.

Good heads up john THANKS

I do believe you will need the TWIC card for anybody to re-new your license though.

PS thanks for the diawa reel response.If avail let me know.

Hope to see ya sun at lotsa sale w/chad

JERRY

REBEL CHARTERS

Of course, "you have to do what you have to do" but a LOT of the Captains I know are NOT getting them. The rationale is, you will not need it until you go to renew your license so there is no point in getting it before then. I just got back from a hunting trip in Hatteras, North Carolina and my friends there, who are all big water captains, are saying the same thing. The Coasties I've spoken with have told me that they will not be enforcing it so take whatever you want from that.

DISCLAIMER----This is ONLY my opinion and the opinions of the captains I have spoken with directly. I am NOT telling you what to do or even implying what you should do.

.......I don't want to get blamed for someone getting in a jam over something as silly as this.

Paul

ok guys talk to Dennis Daniel on Tuesday night he said so far you are going have to get them your app in by April 15 the major ports are going to be enforced if you get pull over and you don t have the card you get 90 days to summit it in.it going to be like 10 years ago when we had to buy them sticker for are lenght of the boat.Rochester Oswego buffalo harbor are going to be first to get chck on,plus the number one ticket handed out last years were life jacket not easy to get to so make them easy to get them your plus your drug testing so make sure you are current guys any other question call Dennis at 716-430-2215 he will explain more

After just going thru both processes, license renewal and TWIC card I can tell you this. As of now, neither group even recognizes each other. Homeland Security and Coast Guard do their own thing. No where in the license renewal process does it even mention TWIC cards(although it was excepted as a form of ID).

That may all change after April 15 ???? No one has a definite answer.

And John is right, our congress people are concerned with much greater thing right now than TWIC cards. I don't see it changing with their help.

Do what you think is right for you, but I wouldn't count on grace periods or lack of enforcement when it does go into effect.

These are just my opinions after dealing with both groups for a long time.

D.Brown Lake Ontario Charter Boat Association

Security clearance identification for commercial ports and marine shipping warehouses, etc. , I even need one for clearance to enter a shipping port with my 18 wheeler. Haven't got it yet though but probably will when it is enforced

Fishfearme, You need it if you have a charter license, or are a truck driver, or have access to ports of call. Part of Homeland Security's new policy. And yes Tim that is what it stands for, but I could call it a few other things... DB