Propeller help

The season is approaching fast and I am hoping to make some improvements on my ride. It's a 1990 princecraft super pro 196. Thinking of switching propellers. Anyone on here have knowledge on how to choose ? I used an online propeller selector and still end up with nearly 100 options and not enough direction. Motor is a 135 Mercury black Max. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You want to end up at your motors recommended wide open throttle recommendation for RPM's

Run the motor wide open with your normal load and note the RPM

A 2 inch increase in pitch will reduce RPM 300 to 400 decrease in pitch will increase rpm

going to a 4 blade will reduce speed slightly in most cases but give a better hole shot and allow planing at a lower speed.

A diameter change will also affect RPM I believe bigger diameter less RPM

If you buy a new prop from a local prop shop they will let you try till you find what you want tell them what your looking to do and let them recommend. BUY LOCAL but go to a prop shop.

Edited by horsehunter
  • Like 1

I would find a reputable prop shop in your area work with them. My current new to me boat had wrong prop on it when I bought it. Local prop shop let me test 2 different props by giving them a deposit. What a difference when I got right prop on the boat. BTW , I do not like stainless steel props on a fishing boat. No need for it. If you ding something with a SS prop its just gonna cost more  $$$ cause you probably have lower unit damage too. Aluminum props are easily repaired.

Prop isn't the only thing to consider.  Everyone is always looking for the right prop - but truth be told - if you motor isn't at the right height there isn't a prop that will work.  When fully trimmed out and at wide open throttle you  want about 1/8" of water flowing over the anti-cavitation plate on the outboard.  many times dealers set motors up with them way too deep - too much hydrodynamic drag - you will never find the right prop.   If you are over propped you will have trouble hitting max RPMs - and this load can be really hard on your powerhead.  Under-propped you will hit your rev limiter.  Prop your boat for your load.  Propgods.com used to be a great resource - not sure if they are still around.  Best prop I found for a multi-species boat was a Mercury Tempest Plus prop - can get a hub kit to adapt to any brand outboard.

• Like 1

There are many variables  that affect the proper prop. Take what you have. Current RPM, Speed, Boat weight, Gear, Occupants etc get accurate numbers  then take that info and see what prop it chooses for your boat. if it don't match there would be my starting prop. Your speed and RPM wont be a factor initially because it is going to determine your baseline on boat make and model gear and persons weight. This will choose the ideal prop, however change any one of those things and the  performance will change. It is not an exact science. Stainless props perform different from aluminium. if you find your prop matches  the settings you entered and are reaching MAX rpm you are probably optimized.  As others mentioned you can go up or down a size but if you are at max rpm no prop will make up the performance time to shed weight or add horsepower. Trim tabs and motor trim help with getting on plane but again if your at max RPM then that optimized. try the link below. It will give you choices and from there you cose the boaing style you do regularly. From there you will have a lot of choices in brands and styles.

https://turningpointpropellers.com/PROPWIZARD/

you need to answer a few simple questions first. what do you hope to gain? top end? a better hole shot? what prop do you have now? what is your wot rpm's? what is the max rpm for your motor?

a 4 blade prop will give you a much better hole shot and better handling but may cost you 1 or 2 mph on top end. a revolution 4 is a proven performer. I get my props off ebay much cheaper than buying at a marina or prop chop.