Transducer location

Hello, I have installed a new to me graph on my boat, when I get on plane there seems to be a lot of disturbance. It still reads the depth but does not show bottom, the whole screen is cluttered with dots, disturbance or what ever it is. Do I have to move it up some? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Is it a transom mounted transducer? If so it must be located away from any sources of disturbance such as strakes and chines (ridges or areas where water channels as it flows past) on the hull. If you are not consistently marking bottom during travel the transducer may not be properly placed.

The transducer may be too far to the outside of the hull and when on plane so that part of the hull is not consistently fully  immersed at the right angle during travel. One thing to check before doing anything else is to check the sensitivity (or gain) setting on the new to you finder. If set too high you can be seeing all sorts of possible sources of "clutter on the display".

Edited by Sk8man

On 5/6/2020 at 11:39 AM, bettieanne said:

Hello, I have installed a new to me graph on my boat, when I get on plane there seems to be a lot of disturbance. It still reads the depth but does not show bottom, the whole screen is cluttered with dots, disturbance or what ever it is. Do I have to move it up some? Thanks

What unit? What Frequency are you running?

Yankee- I have a lowrance hds gen 1. Not sure of frequency. Will check tonite after work. Earl- I will get pics later and post. Thanks for help on this. I have been fishing for years with out a decent graph.. had a Eagle with a screen that was 3 inc. so I been looking forward to upgradeing and would like to get the most out of it I can. Purchased on this site from a great member who upgraded!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a suggestion: get a transducer mounting plate (e..g. Cabelas?) and use one of the existing holes in the transom and seal the other ( Only two holes necessary for the mounting plate). Seal around the inner edges of the mounting plate with marine silicone. Then you can play with the transducer locations to find the "sweet spot"  and you can then mount future stuff on it too.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks for all the advice once again! I will adjust accordingly to your guys input. I must of installed on a barn nite with refreshments... can tell by the sloppy marine sealant [emoji482] boat and trailer are in severe need of a bath as well.. once the fishing slows we will worry about all that!

Frogger, I will take a look at those bunks. Should I trim them back a little? Boat trailers extremely well and I tow with a Tacoma. Afraid to change where boat rests on trailer. Came from the factory like that. I never really liked it, but boat loads great. Had for 5 years or so. Or I may get a plate and mount ducer to and move to center of boat slightly which would also allow me to mount future things to?

I would say if it trailers good and is set up correctly you could just shorten them. Just have to do it carefully unwrapping the carpet so when your finished shortening the wood you can rewrap the end nicely and not have to redo the whole bunk. I wouldn’t leave it like that though, just my luck sorta of thing if you know what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...