Niagra Bar boat launchs

I am planning a trip out to fish the Niagra Bar in late April ,will be staying w/ family in Lockport. Does it make the most sense to try to launch at Fort Niagara state park? I was going to scope this area out this weekend ( going to the GLA/ Keating seminar). Is the state park a good choice or are parking, access issues a problem?

I launch out of the Fort during the spring, summer, and fall. The only time that it is a problem is during the winter. The ice is usually to wide to get a boat out. As far as parking I've never had a problem, and if you have an Empire Pass it is all free. There is a north and a south ramp and I have never had to wait more than a few minutes to get in or out.

what size boat? The state launch has been in need of a good dredging. The town launch at the yaht club in Youngstown was just redone, nice, and deep. But, it make back-up during the ESLO.

Ive lauched my 22 ftr there for a few years in the spring ,some times big ice chunks are sorta stuck there but the state keeps it open pretty good . they came down with the tractor last year and pushed the chunks off the ramp but that was pretty early in the year. there was still several inches of snow on the ground still .so if your 22' or under you wont have any problems with depth .the river urrent is a new twist for some so keep a good rope on that thing as you launch and make your approace from down stream also the winter ice may have rippid parts of the rubber bumper off the dock so be aware of and screw heads or fastners sticking out . about a 5or 6 mph current there.

I have a 19' Sportcraft. I have used both the north and the south launch. The south launch is much deeper than the north launch, I can't give exact lengths but have seen some boats launched out of the south launch that I couldn't believe were being trailered. Ray is right during the earlier part of the year there maybe some screws or fastners to look out for. Usually by June or July they have the docks repaired. Also, I don't think they start charging until Memorial Day. The launch in Youngstown is another option and they did do a nice job on it, I just prefer the Fort because of parking, and it isn't next to a yacht club. Sometimes the blow boys tie up right next to the launch (even though there are signs there telling them not to). I prefer not having to deal with their "superior attitudes"!

We have a little 19' Islander so the state park should be ok, I am thinking I would be better off getting up there before the tourny but it's probably pretty good traffic around the bar no matter what else is going on in the spring isn't it? I have heard from a couple of people I should launch and head north into Canada, do a lot of U.S. boats fish in Canadian water? If so what's involved in getting a license?

I launch my 24' out of the south Fort Niagara boat launch all season. The only time there is an issue is later in the season when the water levels get low, you have to keep your outdrive trimmed up a bit until you get to deeper water. The parking is great as mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

Launched there yesterday. 3/7/09.they are doing some repair work to the roadway leading to the launch,but still accessable. We launch our 26ft Thomson there during the spring Loc. derby. No problems and the fish cleaning stations and restrooms are an added bonus!

• 2 weeks later...