News Flash!

On 12/10/2020 at 8:37 PM, sandwick50 said:

The rumor mill is churning. 1 goose limit next year?

On 12/11/2020 at 11:24 AM, sandwick50 said:

Trust me, I’ve got inside scoop. Atlantic flyway has already had their meeting & this is a done deal.

One day its a rumor and the next day its a done deal? Maryland has had a 1 bird limit the last 2 years, I won't be surprised if it happens here too.

Thejigger.....you hit the nail on the head. Maryland has been crying & complaining about the 1 bird limit, saying if they have to suffer, all states in the flyway must suffer. Even though pretty much all they shoot are migrators while NYS & PA shoot mostly resident birds, even during regular season. So, I don’t know the details of the decision making process, it was agreed that all states will go to 1 bird limit. The only exception is south central & south western NY which has a liberal season because supposedly the AP birds don’t migrate thru that area. Makes no sense to me. Back in early 90’s season was totally closed for 3-4 years because the AP population was so low. After that, went to 1 bird, then 2, then 3.

• Like 1

Delaware also has a 1 bird limit. I remember the closed season in the early 90s. If the limit does go to 1 bird, it won't stop me from hunting geese, may even mean way less competition and a good time to add decoys to the spread. I have a couple contacts I will talk to and try to find out more info.

Sent from my SM-J737U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lack of knowledge at the higher-ups !!!! Just some stupid people all around ..... I'll call it how I see it .... Dates and limits have been messed up ever since they opened goose season back up from when it was closed 20 plus years ago. How can you change bag limit every couple years and then all of a sudden drop down to one....... Stupid people.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't care about nesting numbers...... That way to survey is the problem.

I look at the number of birds that move thru and I see them numbers.... Real numbers .

If goose numbers were that bad I think Canada would change their limit to 1 not ( 3 ) lmfao .

You can shoot more than me but we're shooting at the same birds..... Think about it..[emoji848]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The recommendation from the Atlantic Flyway committee is to reduce the limit to 1, still a 30 day season, to put us in line with Maryland and Delaware (the Chesapeake region where the birds winter). There were no breeding ground surveys last spring due to covid. The weather conditions on the breeding grounds indicated another poor production year. It was just a matter of time before they aligned the whole flyway with the 1 bird limit. Just a recommendation for now, but it will likely come out as final ward soon. Canada has NEVER paid attention to American waterfowl regulations, in any flyway. September is still the time to get your goose fix. Not sure about the South 5 bird limit changing, I will find that out soon.

Here’s what I’ve been told about Canada’s liberal seasons. They only take a small fraction of the total harvest, in comparison to the US. And, the birds nest in their country, so they have a right to liberal bag limits. Sounds like just convenient excuses to me. If the AP goose population is in such a critical condition seems like should do their part to limit harvest.

There's frequently hundreds of them in my backyard pond throughout Fall.  Theyre nothing more than flying rats (who taste pretty good).  For many people, they are an aggressive nuisance.  Why in the world would they ever want there to be more of those ****birds is beyond me.

On 12/14/2020 at 4:55 PM, sandwick50 said:

Here’s what I’ve been told about Canada’s liberal seasons. They only take a small fraction of the total harvest, in comparison to the US. And, the birds nest in their country, so they have a right to liberal bag limits. Sounds like just convenient excuses to me. If the AP goose population is in such a critical condition seems like should do their part to limit harvest.

Plenty of local birds nest right here!!

As a regular Niagara peninsula [ Ontario ] goose hunter many issues have been brought up ! 

#1 Our limit has been dropped from 5 to 3 birds !

#2 We are not the main predator of these birds IMO the coyote is ! Deal with it and the numbers will increase !

#3 The # of birds was approaching nuisance/varmint levels ; the MNR was spraying nested eggs with oil so they would never hatch [ sic] and the " antis " call us cruel !

#4 What is a resident or migrant bird ? Two of the birds we took were banded one from Ohio the other from Pennsylvania which seemed to be mixed with the resident stock !

Again deal with "Willie " and you will have more ground nesting birds !

From DEC’s Resident Population Canada Goose Management Plan (2011):

The first resident geese were birds released by private individuals in the early 1900s. When use of live decoys for hunting was prohibited in 1935, captive flocks of domesticated or semi-domesticated geese were numerous (estimated at more than 15,000 birds), and many were liberated in parks or allowed to wander at large (Dill and Lee 1970). From the 1950s through the 1980s, wildlife agencies in many AF states were actively involved in relocation and stocking programs to establish resident goose populations, primarily in rural areas. Nuisance flocks in urban/suburban conflict areas were a primary source of birds for these programs, which were highly successful and were mostly discontinued by 1990.
Populations of resident Canada geese have increased dramatically in recent years across North America (Ankney 1996, Nelson and Outing 1998). The dramatic growth and importance of the AFRP was not fully recognized until recently. The first management plan for these birds was developed in 1989, when it became apparent that they were contributing significantly to sport harvests, and human/goose conflicts were becoming more common, especially in urban/suburban areas. In the 1980s, biologists also became concerned that increasing numbers of AFRP geese might be masking a decline in the number of migratory Atlantic Population (AP) Canada geese as measured by the Midwinter Waterfowl Survey. Banding studies have confirmed that resident geese are not AP geese that simply stopped migrating north to breed; they are distinct populations with very different population growth rates, management needs and opportunities.

Thanks for the detail information " Sandwick 50 " ! I have no information on private individuals releasing geese in Ontario : The urban and farm nuisance was substantial seeing a school yard covered in goose excrement , farmers having their new corn torn up by flocks of goose . Some birds were live trapped and located to rural areas of Ontario ! The apparent assumption would be that they would take up residence not clear to me !

We hunt cull coyotes on a regular basis and find clear evidence of coyotes destroying goose nests ! 

I would add posts like " bla bla " contribute nothing to the web site !

• Like 1