Hands on Training

Hi All,

I've been working off and on for the last several years, trying to figure out a lot of this fishery. Would anyone be willing to take me out, teach me the proper way to set up the rods, downriggers, the whole gamut? I'll gladly pay fuel, food, time, etc. Or recommend a charter captain that would be willing to do this? I'm tired of fumbling around. I have 8 year old twin boys that are really showing serious interest in it, so it's important to me to learn to do this properly for a change. Not asking for secret spots or any of that stuff. Just education. I learn much better from hands on, rather than watching Youtube. I don't even need to reel in a fish. Just set up, and tackle recommendations etc. I'm in Canandaigua, but traveling isn't a problem. 

Thanks

John

• Like 2

Hi All,
 I've been working off and on for the last several years, trying to figure out a lot of this fishery. Would anyone be willing to take me out, teach me the proper way to set up the rods, downriggers, the whole gamut? I'll gladly pay fuel, food, time, etc. Or recommend a charter captain that would be willing to do this? I'm tired of fumbling around. I have 8 year old twin boys that are really showing serious interest in it, so it's important to me to learn to do this properly for a change. Not asking for secret spots or any of that stuff. Just education. I learn much better from hands on, rather than watching Youtube. I don't even need to reel in a fish. Just set up, and tackle recommendations etc. I'm in Canandaigua, but traveling isn't a problem. 
Thanks
John

I’ve been dodging kids events all yr but next weekend weather permitting I’m hoping to get out do some fishing. I’m always more than happy to have a guest. I primarily fish afternoons out of braddocks or bald Eagle.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'd take him up on the offer John. He is a very good fisherman, with all the right equipment and the right attitude as well from everything I have seen. great opportunity:smile:

• Like 3

I'd take him up on the offer John. He is a very good fisherman, with all the right equipment and the right attitude as well from everything I have seen. great opportunity:smile:

I appreciate it. I’ve had many opportunities to take take guys out from LOU and had a great time with this community. Like John I started for the “kids” or so I told my wife to justify the expense [emoji23]. Iv had a lot of local Captains willing to let me tangle a line or two to learn, best way is hands on

• Like 3

Got a few things to finish on the boat but when it's good be willing to help you out too. Had people help me learn willing to pay it forward. Or I would be open to going out with you.

I'm fishing with a buddy next week I'll share this post with him and see if he has room.

Edited by Charlie P
  • Like 3

Just texted my buddy your post asked if him if was interested in talking you out his reply "definitely ".

Don't know exact dates we going to be there but I'll message you my information.

We'll be going out of the oak.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jeremy Goodison said:

I’ve been dodging kids events all yr but next weekend weather permitting I’m hoping to get out do some fishing. I’m always more than happy to have a guest. I primarily fish afternoons out of braddocks or bald Eagle.

Jeremy that would be fantastic! Only thing for me next weekend, is I have a kayak tournament on Saturday. I fish the NYKBF series and we're on Hemlock and Canadice next Saturday. I'll message you my number, and we can stay in touch.

Charlie P thank you! So I think it was you that asked about boat gear etc. 1998 Trophy 1903 cc, 120 Mercury. Just bought a trolling plate to slow it down. I have 2 walker manual down riggers, 2 or 3 trolling rods, Okuma reels with line counters, braid. 2 dipsy diver, a few flies, a couple flashers, a bunch of spoons of different sizes and patterns. I also have a bunch of other rods from 5 to 13 feet, reels, all sorts of other lures. Plus fixed and clip on planer board, and a planer board tree I still need to mount. I've been accumulating! 

• Thanks 1

Jeremy that would be fantastic! Only thing for me next weekend, is I have a kayak tournament on Saturday. I fish the NYKBF series and we're on Hemlock and Canadice next Saturday. I'll message you my number, and we can stay in touch.

Sounds good. I fish solo or with my daughter 99% of the time. Hopefully between a handful of guys you can get a couple trips in. As summer keeps heating up i do most of my fishing in the shipping lanes and such. Good luck in the tournament

Hey John I will be coming up to do some charters this weekend and have a free day for pre-fishing on Friday.   I will be by myself as of now and heading out of Olcott.   Let me know if you would like to tag along.  Olcott might be a bit if a drive for you?  Best of luck to you and let me know if I can help out.   

Captain Jerry  330-352-2724

https://www.hookcharters.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

John,

No worries!   I will have another opening once again in a week and a half if you want to tag along.   It would be Thursday July 29th and I would be happy to take you out for the day.   

Jerry  330-352-2724

Edited by jbrandt

Leaving the dock at roughly 5 am and ill be out all day but could bring you back half way through, or pick you up after 2 and take you out for the end of the day going out of Olcott

Edited by jbrandt