trolling at night for salmon

I would be using moonshines, and don’t feel like they have to glow like a lantern. I feel like a nice dull glow going 2.2 to 2.5 at the spoon would get them biting.
I’ve never done it, but if I were to do it, that’s what I would do lol.
Keep us posted on how you make out!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have fished before sunrise and after sunset.  Glow j-plugs and silver bullet with a rattle worked well.  Make sure you have proper lights and look out for other boats coming in to port after a night at the bar.  Most people do not expect to see people trolling at night.  It is interesting if you get a double on and its pitch black out.  Last thing is make sure to give the pier guys their space.   You may end up with a 1 oz moonshine hitting your boat.  Have fun and good luck. 

I have fished before sunrise and after sunset.  Glow j-plugs and silver bullet with a rattle worked well.  Make sure you have proper lights and look out for other boats coming in to port after a night at the bar.  Most people do not expect to see people trolling at night.  It is interesting if you get a double on and its pitch black out.  Last thing is make sure to give the pier guys their space.   You may end up with a 1 oz moonshine hitting your boat.  Have fun and good luck. 

Do the pier guys really chuck spoons at boats if they get to close?

For sure if you are too close.  If you are trolling the pierhead they wont stop.  Now if you are coming in they will allow safe passage, but their goal is to cast as far as possible and the have limited mobility.  I have heard of guys taking off the lures and just casting lead when trolling boats come too close.

I've heard that during the striper run on the Hudson at Troy dam, if you get too close to the bank fisherman at the dam, they will take off their bucktail jigs, tie on a 4oz sinker and cast at you. As their weight gets close to you, they close the bail, breaking their line sending a chunk of speeding lead at you.

#1 lure of 4 Musky Inc National Champions in last 3 years.

We’ve done it already. We’ve caught more fish on j plugs that rattle and flat fish than we have glow stuff. Just be mindful of all the Tim boats around the pier heads and the guys casting and you’ll be fine.

On 8/15/2021 at 9:09 PM, Thephildo0916 said:

Anyone else troll strictly at night for chinooks?  Looking to give it a shot, and assumed you could troll just as if you were fishing in the daytime?  Glow spoons I would assume would make good baits.  Just looking for any general tips.  Thanks!

I’ve done some night trolling in front of the salmon river, glow spoons mostly, pull them out and give them a shot with a flashlight to charge them up every once in a while. Not as much fun as daytime in my opinion, I like to see more stuff. Went one time solo on the darkest night and felt like I was in the black abyss. But on the plus side, you probably will have just about the whole lake to yourself with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 boats especially during the week..😀