Laker Lover

Kotaztrafy

Coming up to Golden Hill State Park Sunday to Friday. Of course I am in search of Kings but I also Love Lakers. On average I seem to have luck (at all the ports) going to 100' and trying to drag bottom. Is anyone getting into Lakers ? Where on the south shore from Oak Orchard to Wilson would you say is the best chance for hefty Lakers?

The Niagara bar holds lakers at this time of the year.  Other than that, well East of Oak Orchard is way better.  From Devils Nose East is best.  The Olcott and Oak Orchard areas do not hold numbers of lakers after the spring migration.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thork9 said:

We’re is the best area in the whole lake for Lakers? 

Sandy Creek to Braddocks year round holds big numbers of lakers and the majority of the 30+ lb lake trout that came out of Lake Ontario the past decade have come from that area.  I caught a 34.06 in 2012.  I know of four other 30+lb fish that have been taken from that area in the past couple of years.  Wautoma Shoals is a great spot.  Tons of structure and holds big numbers of lakers year round.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Horrifying 

-Higher in Omega than Salmon (especially the dying ones)
-Good flesh year round.
-Native to The Great Lakes.
-Never dries out on the grill.
-Big Heavy Sport Fish (I've had a few break 30 pound test flouro on braid at the knot, needed Mono or a snubber)
-Sometimes easy to catch.
-They Grunt and Groan begging for Love.
-I think they are a majestic looking fish.
-But, I agree that they are slimy, oily, carp like, bottom feeding, garden fertilizer, stinky, nuisance, useless eaters. Thrown um all back or give um to me!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I fished lake superior for lake trout a couple months ago. The food quality of the lakers in superior is far better than onatrio. I guess the colder water and food sources makes all the difference.  We caught steelhead and lakers and could not tell the difference in color or taste of meat. 

That being said, I believe smoked lake trout is as good as any other smoked lake fish coming out of lake ontario. 

• Like 1