Muzzleloader stuff

Gill-T

I am new to muzzleloading so looking to learn. I am wondering what people use to clean their Muzzleloader barrels?  I have heard Dawn soap and hot water but Traditions states that soap and water is not enough. So which solvent (I use nitro firesticks) do I use?  Which cleaning brush?  What removes sabot plastic residue?  

30 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

I am new to muzzleloading so looking to learn. I am wondering what people use to clean their Muzzleloader barrels?  I have heard Dawn soap and hot water but Traditions states that soap and water is not enough. So which solvent (I use nitro firesticks) do I use?  Which cleaning brush?  What removes sabot plastic residue?  

What powder are you using? 

If you are using clean burning powders, I just use the same solvents I use on my shotgun.  I use Blackhorn 209.  If you use any kind of solvents, make sure you store your gun muzzle down or with the breech plug out.  I have had solvent residue run into the breech plug and cause misfires.  

I always fire one primer to clean out any residual oils before putting power or pellets in. I’d guess with the nitro fire this may be less of an issue. I agree w others, use same gun cleaning solvents as u would w a shotgun. If u can get barrel by itself, brake cleaner does a pretty good job, then I finish w G96. 

This cva kit has done me well. W blackhorn. The cleaning and protecting patches do good. Seams like they have some sort of citrus on them?

plus all the other brushes and thread antifreeze. 

27776224-03F3-4B90-9033-DB0F8B67C8D4.png

The thing to remember about citrus cleaning products is they are inherently acidic so be sure to use a protectorant product after their usage. I have always used TC bore butter as a protectorant after cleaning. It makes loading easier and prevents rust from forming.

17 hours ago, Gill-T said:

No breech plug with nitro fire. Yes, I used Hoppes #9 so I guess all good. What mitigates the plastic build up?  I couldn’t find a .50 wire brush anywhere 

I have used a 20 gauge brush before.  Let me look in my kit Chad.  I may have an extra 50 cal brush I can send you.  I found them a couple years ago and scooped up a couple of them.  

17 hours ago, Gill-T said:

No breech plug with nitro fire. Yes, I used Hoppes #9 so I guess all good. What mitigates the plastic build up?  I couldn’t find a .50 wire brush anywhere 

amazon has them

I have been using a muzzleloader throughout shotgun for over 20 years now, I have a T/C Encore.  In my first few seasons I didn't realize the importance of having everything dry inside the barrel and breech plug meaning I was using oil and solvents to clean and maintain the gun which lead to issues (mainly in my first muzzleloader which was a Remington) on misfires.  Since then, I use Dawn soap and warm water and draw it into the barrel after I break the gun down and this cleans out everything in the barrel.  I do the same with the breech plug.  After I have done this, I run dry patches until I don't see any more residue from them.  I have not had any issues since making sure everything is left dry inside the barrel and breech since.  One final thing I will do is dry fire a primer outside (just the primer obviously) to burn or dry anything out.  T/C has a multitude of tools that help making cleaning the  breech plug much easier than when I started, I would assume your manufacturer has the same.  Good luck out there come late season.

I use dawn and hot water as well.

Shooting with a fouled barrel is the only way my CVA will shoot consistenly. If I shoot it on a clean barrel it will be off several inches. Shooting 1 cap seems to do the trick. Then I spit swab between shots and it shoots great.

I started using BH209 this year and I love it. It seems to shoot better than pellets and it is definitely cleaner.

2 hours ago, reeleyz said:

I use dawn and hot water as well.

Shooting with a fouled barrel is the only way my CVA will shoot consistenly. If I shoot it on a clean barrel it will be off several inches. Shooting 1 cap seems to do the trick. Then I spit swab between shots and it shoots great.

I started using BH209 this year and I love it. It seems to shoot better than pellets and it is definitely cleaner.

the BH209 is a great powder.  Hard to find and a little pricey but worth every penny.