Electric downriggers

mick62

Hey folks, I am kind of a newbie to electric downriggers. Where do you get your power from?  Do you run to starting battery, trolling motor battery, or do you use separate battery just for downriggers? My 40hp main motor does not have an alternator so I am skeptical about using starting battery, and only have trolling motor to get me home if main motor fails. Do Mag 10's use a lot of battery power?

just to be on the safe side with you motor not being charged i would add another group 27 or above deep cycle battery for the riggers. unless you do a lot of up and down the riggers won't use a lot of power, but it may be enough that the motor won't start. you could use the trolling motor battery, but it may shorten your trolling motor time. you can find good batteries and prices at places like Sam's club or where I get my batteries at wall mart. you can also check amazon. batteries should run just over 100.00. but if you have the money to spend on a battery i would get a group 31 deep cycle.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. I will be installing a switch, and an inline charger. Probably gonna have to add another battery as well, that will make three in a 16 ft Starcraft and running out of real estate. Maybe I'll just stick to my manuals