Motor hours?

BRsnow

I would think 2,000 to 3,000 hours life out of a properly maintained four stroke could be expected.  With 730 hours on a 2021 I’d be wondering when it went in service ( model years aren’t calendar years) and where it was used ( fresh vs salt).  I bought a new 90hp in 2022 and price was a little over 10k.  Mercury had a 3 year warranty when I bought mine so unless you save pretty big money on a 2021, new with warranty might be better investment.

21 minutes ago, mr 580 said:

I would think 2,000 to 3,000 hours life out of a properly maintained four stroke could be expected.  With 730 hours on a 2021 I’d be wondering when it went in service ( model years aren’t calendar years) and where it was used ( fresh vs salt).  I bought a new 90hp in 2022 and price was a little over 10k.  Mercury had a 3 year warranty when I bought mine so unless you save pretty big money on a 2021, new with warranty might be better investment.

Thanks, the price on the boat takes this into consideration. It was a rental, so the hours were from 2 summers of use. Everything thing looks clean, price is right, just a lot of hours.

Probably some risk - not sure I would ever buy a vehicle that was previously a rental.  That being said it could have been well maintained - but it also could have been jammed in and out of gear at RPMs - beat on as a rental etc. 

10 hours ago, AnglingAddict said:

Probably some risk - not sure I would ever buy a vehicle that was previously a rental.  That being said it could have been well maintained - but it also could have been jammed in and out of gear at RPMs - beat on as a rental etc. 

I hear you, feels a bit like marrying a prostitute. The boat itself is super clean and is priced like the motor is free, so I might look a little closer look at it.

Edited by BRsnow

1 hour ago, BRsnow said:

I hear you, feels a bit like marrying a prostitute. The boat itself is super clean and is priced like the motor is free, so I might look a little closer look at it.

If you look at it that way then nothing to lose really....probably worth it then if its priced like that and roll the dice on the motor.....

Yes, it's a lot of hours under less than ideal use, but this generation of Merc 4 strokes has been a real game changer for Brunswick. I've had 2 of them and it's a pretty bulletproof platform. If the price is right it, and compression is good (and even), should be worth a shot.

I have a 2007 60 hp  four stroke Mercury with 2700 hours. Just had a new water pump and impeller installed and it still runs great. Mechanic said all looked good and since mostly trolling hours and maintained it is likely better than one with few hours that has sat unused.