-
Posts
9,908 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by GAMBLER
-
Landshark, I run the Scotty releases. I buy the double stackers and cut them off of the line they are on and add a shower curtain hook.
-
Don't believe that transect map. Lots of cold water. Drop your probe down deep and you will see lots of 39 degree water.
-
Nice report and congrats on the PB smallie Scott.
-
MyKey, I run that exact blade. That is a brand that is no longer made (I believe the company was S&S). Hammerhead makes an all silver one that is close. Good luck finding them.
-
Both have their time and place. I would recommend buying wires first and then copper. Wires really heat up in July and August. Coppers are expensive and not as user friendly.
-
Carl, Are you getting it kinked, tangled, back lashed or a mixture of all?
-
I keep them all the same length. If the copper gets kinked, or cut, I replace them and take the old copper and cut it down to the next smaller lenght that I use and keep it as a back up spool.
-
No but I have them all on one side of the cuddy and the tackle on the other side so it levels out.
-
It is in the works Penn Yan 88. I'm going to add a 450' by the end of the season.
-
No run the lead or copper outside of the wires. Big boards 50 - 100' off the side of the boat.
-
LOC Derby Leaderboard - Pro Member Access
GAMBLER replied to BlueEye's topic in Open Lake Discussion
Very nice Chad. Makes life easier. -
Another good way is to visit the A-tom-mik site. He has all of the reels w/ copper listed by reel and how much copper they have on them. Here is what I have 100' - Penn 320 GTI - 300 yds 40lb Power Pro backing 200' - Penn 330 GTI - 300 yds 50lb Power Pro backing 250' - Penn 330 GTI - 275 yds 50lb Power Pro backing 300' - Penn 340 GTi - 300 yds 50lb Power Pro backing 350' - Penn 345 GTI - 300 yds 50lb Power Pro backing (might pit on a Penn 340 really full) 400' - Penn 345 GTI - 300 yds 50lb Power Pro backing 500' - Penn 345 GTI - 300 yds 50lb Power Pro backing
-
someone set me straight- early Bass season on Lake O
GAMBLER replied to BP Swing's topic in Musky, Tiger Musky & Pike (ESOX)
You can fish for bass legally now year round. It has to be artificials and catch and release only from March 15 - the 3rd Saturday in June ( I believe). -
Both the Diawas and the Penns will barely hold 100' of copper with a good amount of backing. You could make up short cores for fishing high ie 2, 3, or 4 color cores.
-
(Gambler) : Fishing Report ============== TRIP OVERVIEW ============== Date(s): (6/23/09) Time on Water: (06:00 AM – 11:00 PM) Temp/Weather: (80°F and sunny) Wind Speed/Direction: (calm) Waves: (Calm) Surface Temp: (53°F) Location: (Sandy Creek) LAT/LONG: (GPS Cords) =============== FISHING RESULTS =============== Total Hits: 18 Total Boated: 10 Species Breakdown: (1 Atlantic, 7 Bows, 2 Lake Trout) Hot Lure: (NK steelie special, NBK, Gator) Trolling Speed: (2.5 - 3.2 mph) Down Speed: (1.8 mph) Boat Depth: (150 - 180) Lure Depth: (surface - 30' down) ==================== SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS ==================== Started the morning in 80 fow. Nice screen with some bait and hooks. Could not get anything to go so I turned North looking for steelies. Found a 3 degree temp break in 150 off of the pump house. Worked the edge of the break West to the Nose. Off the Nose, it thinned out a little and was not as drastic. Tons of debris floating in the break. Plainer boards were the ticket with 1 and 1 1/2oz. of weight (50 out, clip on weight and let it out another 75'). The steelies wanted the sppons trolled on the faster side today. Lots of fish swirling on the surface all over the break. Had a lot of steelies hit jump a come off. The action died at 9 am. At 10, we trolled in to 100' and tried for lakers and picked a 13 and a 11lber off. Smallest fish of the day was the 6 lb. Atlantic. All the steelies ran 6 - 10 1/2lbs. As a side note, the current down deep was horrible. I was trolling 3.1 on the surface and it was 1.3 at the ball.
-
No. You can have 15 hook points on each rod.
-
I purchsed a new X4 probe from A-tom-mik this spring to use with my 840 head unit. It has worked flawlessly every trip.
-
I use my coppers all season. I have different lenght coppers for different depths. I run a 100,200, 250, 300, 350, 400, and a 500. The 300 and 400 have been my most productive over the past 2 seasons. When the thermalcline sets up better, it is a little easier to figure out what coppers to put out. Don't be afraid to run coppers out of temp. both warm and cold.
-
I use my coppers all season. I have different lenght coppers for different depths. I run a 100,200, 250, 300, 350, 400, and a 500. The 300 and 400 have been my most productive over the past 2 seasons. When the thermalcline sets up better, it is a little easier to figure out what coppers to put out. Don't be afraid to run coppers out of temp. both warm and cold.
-
Gottabite, I run 2 off of Otter boats. On a rare occasion, I will run on down the chute. When you rig the copper, you don't have to worry about tangling dipsy and riggers if you let it out slow and keep the boat straight. I rig my coppers and send them out on the boards over the dipsy with no problems.
-
I disagree with Skipper. 45 lb. copper is the norm for copper on Lake O. My 300' and 400' copper were my best 2 coppers last season. I run them off of Big Jon Otter boats. My releases are Scotty plainer releases. I use the small ones for short coppers with no flashers and the big ones for long coppers and coppers with flashers. Copper flat out catches fish. I do not run a copper down the chute often because I have a smaller beamed boat and fear getting a tangle and ruining the copper. Another little tip, if you use big boards, add 6' of mono between the copper and the backing. This will keep it in the releases better. Look at the A-tom-mik site. They have already rigged reels with backing, copper and leader on them. It is a lot cheaper to buy them already rigged from Tom. All you have to add is the rod.
