Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Have to let them out real slow with the drag on like with dipseys
  2. 5 per line and most Sabiki's come with 6 so just snip one off
  3. Best of luck with it Looks like they may have to beef up the lid....it is pretty long
  4. Take pics and send to the company. Shouldn't be happening whether heat or UV etc. related. Hopefully they will make it right with you. If not, post the pics here and let them know that.
  5. Always great to see honest folks....what America is really all about...
  6. Yeah I wasn't so lucky with a $250 SONY digital point and shoot camera. It dropped out of my pocket while docking somewhere on the dock I guess. I realized it about 10 minutes down the road and returned....camera gone. Nobody around
  7. One of the problems with the LORAN system was that if you were too close and in line with a tower the signal could be either lost or corrupted because it depended on triangulation among three towers for best accuracy. My old unit used to have the problem big time on Seneca near Sampson.
  8. Interesting observation. I had one take the 300 ft of copper last year and head for Canada with it. I wondered afterward how long he would last or if the thing would fall off. I hope the latter
  9. They sure are on the north end of Canandaigua I saw a bunch of recreational boaters that packed it up a little while ago. Not a great day to be out there Brian.
  10. Fleas stretched out riding the thermocline?
  11. Nice going. It hasn't been the most productive few days for many folks....you earned them
  12. And then again I just traded in my combo starting/deep cycle and it was still fine but the date on it was Feb 2010
  13. Try to look on the brighter side. You have your lives (very fortunately), the engine is usually the most expensive part of the equation, looks like you still have usable equipment to outfit another boat-and you are probably young enough to start it all again and most important of all is that you have successfully survived a an important life lesson and won't take anything for granted in the way of safety in the future (priceless).
  14. It is nothing these days with the lower numbers of fishermen. Back in the 70's and early eighties more than half of the fishermen out there were still fishermen often blocking off large areas with their anchor ropes stretched way out and not visible from a distance so when trollers went by either jerking copper or downrigging they hung up on them. Many folks trolling weren't used to looking for boards either and would go right across yellowbirds etc. On Sodus bay I once had a bass boat going flat out spool the two rods I had out toplining so I had to quit fishing and drive back to Geneva as I didn't have any other rods with me or wallet with me.
  15. Yep they feed at night and sometimes can catch them at first light then they shut off when the sun is up. Hard to figure them sometimes.
  16. This may be one of those years where you treat the 1st of August as the last of August and look for them stacking up or in real shallow.even though the temps may be way off.
  17. You are not alone wondering.....two buddy's in different boats and days (yesterday and today) skunked and didn't see much worth mentioning. Yesterday he fished 13 hours without a hit and tried everything under the sun and his friend came all the way from Tennessee to fish for the kings..
  18. I believe the EZ Steer usually has a sticker on it that says it is factory adjusted (tension) so I'd be cautious about changing that. Sounds as though it may be binding up from the angle from bracket to motor (e.g. perhaps tilted too steep?)
  19. I don't know the name of that particular spoon but the blank itself looks just like a generic spoon blank that used to be sold by Netcraft so if you come up dry you may be able to get the blanks somewhere and paint your own. i used to both tape and paint them. The action will be the same and that is what is critical. I believe they came in a couple or more sizes including magnums
  20. Some folks think that lake fishing and current conditions are like stream fishing where fish often orient toward the flowing current and i believe it is a mistake to look at the operation of underwater current the same way in both situations. Most salmon and trout actively feed by foraging and traveling about looking for bait which may or not be anywhere near the path of the current. Underwater current in the lakes can be running in different directions at once with cross currents and up and down in the water column where it is not as contained as in a stream. In places in lakes where points occur with currents rounding them, and the mouths of streams where currents flow into the lake there may be more similarity. I know some folks like to troll with the current but most of the time this may be of little value because it adversely affects the action and way lures run; especially spoons (kills a lot of the action). In strong detectable current going against and across or on diagonals to current may provide the best lure action. You may however have to adjust boat speeds accordingly. It is a good idea to see how a lure is running at the side of the boat before deploying but the underwater current can greatly change this action and you may need to slow your speed a little in some cases.
  21. The spiny fleas don't seem to be much of a pain on most lines as they can usually be shaken off. The Fishook type are a completely different story kinda like cottonwood.
  22. Bad board?
  23. As you can already see from just these responses Mark specific expectations vary considerably from person to person. One of the prime factors is the level of experience of the customer and perceptive captains can usually sort this out rather quickly.. Servicing the public in any manner requires some "people skills" and patience. The charter trip is a two way street regarding respect: the customer has the responsibility of maintaining decorum such as not drinking too much beforehand and puking all over the nice clean boat, dropping a rod in the water, or allowing kids to run all over the boat grabbing equipment etc. The captain has multiple responsibilities to balance, tries to insure the customers have a good time but also being patient with inexperienced folks and kids and offering tactful guidance, answering questions that might just seem obvious, tactfully delaying answering while busy rigging or navigating, and not assuming that customers must already know how to handle the equipment no matter how obvious it may seem. Many Americans seem to think that more is always better and this can occur with fishing too, but I think most folks want to mainly enjoy the experience and the anticipation of the strike and bringing in a fish despite the captains concerns about productivity. I have been on multiple charters on both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans and whether I came home with a bunch of fish was always secondary to whether I had fun, whether the captain or crew was congenial and whether I learned something from the experience or not. Sometimes the customer has to break the ice with the captain but often it should be the other way and the customer made to feel comfortable regardless of experience. Back in the eighties I had such a charter on Cape Cod. The captain was a shaggy bearded salty guy with a real no nonsense approach and he and the mate did everything while fishing for stripers and blues with light lines and equipment. He acted as though we were kids or something until I chatted a bit with him and discovered he was a Vietnam Vet. Once I indicated that I too was a vet during that same period he perked up a bit, and then when I started mentioning some previous fishing experiences, and that I salmon fished on Lake O etc. he warmed up even more. After a short time, I was manning some rods and making adjustments etc. fully accepted, I went on repeated charters with him, and we are still friends to this day. The moral of the story is: personal relationships are a two way street no matter what the nature of them. Trying to get to know someone a bit better through conversation whether captain or customer has its benefits to each party. An impatient captain reluctant to converse or answer questions (no matter how simple they may sound) or shift gears in assumptions, may not have a repeat customer. A disrespectful and annoying customer may not feel as though he/she had a good time either. In short, the personal experience aspect may play a larger role than the specific numbers of fish caught. ( I guess I should add it isn't true for everyone however)
  24. Yep good for cores, coppers, and even dipseys. You have a good handle on it. Sometimes looking over the previous years data can yield some interesting findings too. For many years I had the old Fishhawk that you reeled up and down and I attached to my downrigger for measurements and recorded on paper the results for many years and it sometimes contained surprises when you looked for patterns especially when coordinated with my diaries
  25. Getting an X4D makes all the sense in the world. If it is the money involved save up for it. You can always transfer it to a bigger boat. Spending the significant amount of cash on the X2 now and then deciding later you want the advantages of the X4D is what makes a lot less sense.
×
×
  • Create New...