Magnum Slide Diver

Yep. 1.5 setting on inside. I run a four pack of slides. Mags on inside. Standards on outside. To help avoid divers getting together, I run standards on 40 lb wire and mags on 30 lb wire (gains separation). I also set them exactly the same by laying them out on the lawn to confirm all my leaders are the same length, the mono leader I clamp onto is the same, the small piece of braid between the mono and wire is the same. Each side is run the same distance back so they fall together, and the opposing side may vary but not much. For example a spread  of four divers might have two port side divers (a standard and a mag) both out 250’ out and two starboard divers (a standard and a mag) out 275’. In conditions of extreme changing down currents, like near the red can- Niagara Bar, I will pull the two inside divers before I turn 180 to go back over my line, otherwise, I can leave all 4 divers in the water and turn completely around without tangles. Slide divers are great in that they don’t spin on themselves so you can bass flip a standard outside the inside mag when resetting. 

Slide Diver sold that as “Ultimate Ring and Weight” kit.  You replace bottom of diver and ring plus the 7 oz weight.  Noticeable difference as about twice the weight of standard weight.  Works well- I like the versatility of slide divers and ability to change leader lengths.  Not sure how available slide divers are currently as some changes to ownership.

15 hours ago, whaler1 said:

7oz weight supposed to run 2 for 1. 
Just got them rigged up, looking forward to seeing how they track. 
Anyone else using them?  

IMG_4718.jpeg

Yes Bill, I put 2 on wire this year with about a 15’ piece of 50# mono for the diver to slide on. I have a 5’ piece of 30# fc behind that. It works just as good as mag divers without the longer lead. 

A word of caution if you are clamping on mono. The little pointy triangular rumble strip that helps secure the release pressing against the line will crimp and weaken your mono. I ground those sharp  rumble strips down with a dremmel tool and increased the release hold by putting a small piece of 3M double sided tape down so the release arm pinches the line down into the tape. No slippage. 

• Like 1

Right, the arm with tubing clicks down onto the line. The sharp pointy thing helps secure the line when the arm/tubing clamps the line and is located in the central housing where the line passes through to the other side of the diver. 

Edited by Gill-T

On 6/21/2023 at 3:16 PM, Gill-T said:

Right, the arm with tubing clicks down onto the line. The sharp pointy thing helps secure the line when the arm/tubing clamps the line and is located in the central housing where the line passes through to the other side of the diver. 

Ok, got it now. I’ll keep an eye on it, but I’ve never noticed any issues in the past with slides.

On 6/21/2023 at 11:01 AM, Gill-T said:

A word of caution if you are clamping on mono. The little pointy triangular rumble strip that helps secure the release pressing against the line will crimp and weaken your mono. I ground those sharp  rumble strips down with a dremmel tool and increased the release hold by putting a small piece of 3M double sided tape down so the release arm pinches the line down into the tape. No slippage. 

I’m at the dock now looking at what you said with a couple guys and I see what your talking about. I run the line through my tubing and the tubing is touching those points on the diver. Maybe that’s why I don’t have a problem.

Yes, I think that is right. I put the surgical  tubing on the release arm. With the line through the tubing, the line is probably protected as it passes through the housing to the other side. I probably should have read the directions better lol. 

I also found with the last one I bought that the main arm was very tight crushing down on the 1/4 tubing . I had to really push it into locked position and crank down the screw to hold it.  I did not like that so I bent the arm a little so it was like my other one . Problem solved . 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using mine for years . Never have they slipped down the line and mine slides on a 50 ft section of 30# big game . 

it can only be 2 things . Either the wrong tubing the arm pinches down on or the arm is bent and not putting enough pressure and pinching the line enough.