It was going to be one of those days as my fish hawk probe went into error mode first time in the water this morning. The down temperature showed 03.1 which acccording to their website it means the temperature probe is bad. It will still read down speed. So we decided to stick it out and fish somewhat blind. We started out in 150fow and worked our way out to deep water. We got our first strike on a meat rig on the diver rod out 220. We ended up losing that fish. The next fish didn't come for about 90 mins when we were in about 300 fow. We ran a white glow crush spin doctor with matching flie down 100feet and got a nice steel head. We then ran out to 400 fow just looking around and seeing blank screens we moved back to 250 fow. The next fish was a decent mature king on the same spin doctor set up. No clue where the scale on the boat went but guessing it was 20lbs. Ended the day 2 for 3. Beautiful weather but a slow day out there. How did everyone else do out there today?

23983 (1).jpeg

IMG_20230715_081919993_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

We started in close ,75 ft . Good pic lots of bait . 2 hits in there on the same Glo Frog 85 down 

Got some Intel from west and decided to work out way out 

160 ft,  dipsy at 240 goes , Glo Frog on that . 15 # king 

Decided to put all Glo Frog stuff down . Had a 5 F Evil eye I doctored up to look like a Glo Frog  . Let it out on my #5 Chinook diver.  Wasn't out there 10 min . 17# king . 

Let it back out 10 minutes later it goes again . Another nature but gets into the rigger and broke off . Good

Luck finding another one of those spoons . 

Then we had to leave . 2 for 5 hits . 

5 hours ago, ShawnJ said:

It was going to be one of those days as my fish hawk probe went into error mode first time in the water this morning. The down temperature showed 03.1 which acccording to their website it means the temperature probe is bad. It will still read down speed. So we decided to stick it out and fish somewhat blind. We started out in 150fow and worked our way out to deep water. We got our first strike on a meat rig on the diver rod out 220. We ended up losing that fish. The next fish didn't come for about 90 mins when we were in about 300 fow. We ran a white glow crush spin doctor with matching flie down 100feet and got a nice steel head. We then ran out to 400 fow just looking around and seeing blank screens we moved back to 250 fow. The next fish was a decent mature king on the same spin doctor set up. No clue where the scale on the boat went but guessing it was 20lbs. Ended the day 2 for 3. Beautiful weather but a slow day out there. How did everyone else do out there today?

23983 (1).jpeg

IMG_20230715_081919993_HDR.jpg

My fish hawk probe went into error mode to. Right to the bottom of the lake. Due to a downrigger cable snapping! Was definitely not a good day

Are you using newer Cannon riggers? 

28 minutes ago, letsfish2day said:

My fish hawk probe went into error mode to. Right to the bottom of the lake. Due to a downrigger cable snapping! Was definitely not a good day

Letsfish2day- Sorry to hear about your probe went to the bottom of the lake. I donated a probe myself to the lake last year as well. I broke a rigger cable as well about 100 feet Infront of the green bouy. No clue what it got hung up on. I emailed fishawk to see if they will replace mine that's in error mode.

23 minutes ago, ShawnJ said:

Brian, where have you been typically catching your bigger lakers? Do you typically run the same 90-110 fow in front of the creek?

It all depends.  Most of the time, 120 is consistent East of the Creek.  This year, I haven't laker fished since the Spring derby.  I did see a significant amount of lakers East of the creek in 125-135 last trip.  Shallow usually produces smaller lakers.  I find bigger ones are deeper and in smaller pods with fish of the similar size.  

Add another lost  probe to  cannon downriggers . This has become chronic .

CDS, Cannon Downrigger Syndrome.  .  

I personally know guys that have lost 7 probes to them . That's 7 probes at 400$ + , 7 weights at 40$ + and  7 releases at 10+ . And snaps and crimps . Add it up . 

6 hours ago, HB2 said:

Add another lost  probe to  cannon downriggers . This has become chronic .

CDS, Cannon Downrigger Syndrome.  .  

I personally know guys that have lost 7 probes to them . That's 7 probes at 400$ + , 7 weights at 40$ + and  7 releases at 10+ . And snaps and crimps . Add it up . 

I have no idea what you guys are doing to lose probes.....  I have been running cannon downriggers for 20+ years and never lost a probe.  I am anal about checking for kinks, and frays.  If you have a kink or fray in the cable and you continue to run your probe on that rigger you can't blame Cannon or their equipment.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

That’s what I’m doing. They are violently fast, wish you could slow them down a little. 

The digitrolls you can adjust the speeds.  The STX models need snubbers.  They stop very abruptly.  

22 minutes ago, letsfish2day said:

Guess that’s on me!!! I didn’t run a snubber. Thanks for the tip. Was brand new cable last fall. Only been out a handful of times. I do hate how fast they are. Someone suggested braid on them? But I can’t imagine how that would work with the fleas

Go with the Amish outfitter rigger snubbers.  Before I had digitrolls, I used them for years.  They worked great.  

My neighbor told me he likes his depth raider . It was half the price . So I bought one . 

So far , I love it . And the 500$ I saved. 

Glaciers move faster the the old Proos I have on my boat . And I love them for it . 

Just bought a new one so I will be ready for to try my luck in the Sandy Creek Shootout this coming weekend. Going forward I'm going to take the cap off and batteries out after each use to try and prevent any more issues with the probes. Hopefully fish hawk will stand by their product and do something as I bought the one that broke in August of last year. We shall see.

4 hours ago, ShawnJ said:

Just bought a new one so I will be ready for to try my luck in the Sandy Creek Shootout this coming weekend. Going forward I'm going to take the cap off and batteries out after each use to try and prevent any more issues with the probes. Hopefully fish hawk will stand by their product and do something as I bought the one that broke in August of last year. We shall see.

I will say Fishhawk has some of the best customer service. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, letsfish2day said:

I will say Fishhawk has some of the best customer service. 

Agreed. If it's less than a year out, then the warrantee should still be in effect.  But you do need to take the cap off after every trip. There's a significant amount of condensation in there from the cold.

I posted a thread on the Tackle and Techniques forum with an early review of our new Magnum Metalz downriggers: so far, they are the bomb, and they are smmmoooottth.