Cannon Unitroll Repair Question

Sea Lion

Hi Gang,

You're gonna laugh.  I am trying to replace the depth counter on my 35-year-old Cannon Unitroll downrigger.  These are SOO manual.  Anyhoot,  I'm at the point where I unscrewed the handle and took the plate off the other side.  Being these are 35 years old and Cannon no longer makes parts for much of this, I'm leary on "just going at it".   My question is how do I remove the "axle" from the rigger so I can then get to the depth counter?  I'm not sure if I just tap it out or if something else holding it in place.  Looking for advice.

Much Appreciated,

Bob Lyons

PXL_20230716_112746622.jpg

PXL_20230716_112757167.jpg

Well, I just did this job back in April. A few calls to Johnson Outdoors (1-800-227-6433) and about 25 bucks put my Unitrol 6 back into service. There is no need to do a deep teardown. Set the reel assy so that a web/spoke of reel is behind the counter, then with pry tool push counter out. Gear will drop as it's a press fit. When your counter, and hopefully the proper gear arrive, slide counter in place then fix gear to counter shaft and press gear to appropriate depth. I believe your part numbers are: Meter 3 digit 0220477 and Gear, counter 0833561. The tech at Johnson Outdoors was very helpful as it took a few attempts to get the proper counter gear. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

If you have a FFinder that shows your weights on the screen , there is no need for a depth counter . The screen doesn't lie , and it's more accurate than your counter with or without blowback. 

Actually, the FF do lie. The angle that a transducer reads in feet is the same amount of cable that is out on the downrigger. What the FF can’t pick up is the actual depth of the ball due to blow back. It can only display what you think is the depth of the ball but is not accurate. You can perform this test by getting a fish hawk 4xd or a sub troll. So for example, FF shows my ball at 100ft, counter on DW says 100 ft. Fish hawk says I’m really at 90 ft.  For what it’s worth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozeman Bob said:

So when my FF shows 100' and it shows my weight at 100 ,  how come I'm hitting the bottom ? Must be a optical dillusion, dam I hate when that happens . 

Maybe at 1/2 a knot   Any angle on the rigger cable will decrease depth reached. I’ve had to let out 150’ of cable to reach 100’ of depth when a current is running and the angle on the cable is over 15°   Pure geometry 

14 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

I do not care how many feet of cable are let out or what the downrigger line counter shows . In my case , when the ball shows up on the screen at whatever depth , I go by that reading . No geometry needed .

Carry on 

If I'm not mistaken, sonar is not really a depthfinder but a distance measuring device. That's why fish show up as arches when you are trolling. When they first show up on the edge of your transducer cone the distance from the transducer to the fish is greater. As the transducer moves more directly over the fish, to the center of the transducer cone, and the angle to the fish lessens, the distance to the fish also lessens, indicated on the sonar screen as the top of the inverted V shape. As the transducer moves past the fish and the angle again increases the sonar screen will show the fish depth increasing, giving you the other arm of the inverted V, even though the fish hasn't actually changed depth. Watching your downrigger weight on the sonar screen while trolling will only show you when your weight is at the same depth as any fish you might encounter. Try this: note the depth of your rigger weight as you're trolling at say 3.0MPH. The slow your troll down to 1.5MPH and watch what happens to your weight's indicated depth on the screen.

Right on !! The sonar  (distance finder ) is showing your weight distance from the transducer  it will only show the true depth of your weight if you are stopped and the cable is straight down.  Any angle on the cable will lessen the depth of the weight , but it will still show the actual distance from the ducer , not the true depth it’s running.  A fish 🐟 will show actual depth because you are passing over it ( arches)   If it was attached to the boat , the same rule would apply  the distance would be shown  not the actual depth 

A fish hawk is an eye opener. It takes all the guess work out of the equation 

Edited by chinook35