Copper and weighted steel, is it fun?

I tend to use lighter line when possible and fish because I enjoy it. Starting to put together some weighted steel sets and wondered if it is fun to catch fish on them. Is a 300 copper or weighted steel fun or is it reeling is “dead” weight. Curious on your thoughts before investing the funds. Thanks.

Definitely not dead weight, because you're attached directly to the fish through a line that doesn't stretch. It feels more like being in the bleachers though, versus right on the sidelines with riggers. 

And long coppers make work out of fun, IMHO.

If you are sport fishing, don’t mess with copper!

If you are trying to catch more fish, please customers etc, get it in your spread.

If it was the only option to use, I would fish for bluegills instead!

• Like 1

I love my 300’ coppers, you certainly feel the fish. Toughest thing about copper is learning how to let your line out without backlash !!   Took me a couple years to get real comfortable with it.  I only run 300’ coppers on line counters so I can run ‘‘em short if I want   We catch a bunch of fish on them but the one thing I will say is that it’s hard to catch and release some fish epically steelhead cause the heavy line takes its toll on the fish when bringing them in. 

If you go with coppers limit it to 300 ft max (the length of a (FOOTBALL FIELD). If you need additional depth add snap weights above the copper wire. There are times when copper outperforms leadcore and their signature in the water is different. If you use a 300 copper and intend to release fish it may require longer stabilization time for the fish in the water and some may not make it (especially rainbows). Because the copper wire does not stretch and most fluoro leaders have minimal stretch there is less "forgiveness" when hauling a large fish so you have to be a bit more careful. If using it deep with weights for example you may wish to go with a mono leader to provide a little stretch and where "stealth" may not be as critical. Like all the other setups copper is a "tool" in the box along with the other setups and l;ike the others it can be the most effective one in the box depending on conditions and circumstances. As mentioned a lot of care is needed in deploying copper (don't freespool it) to avoid kinks and birds nests. Having the right reel and drag system is also important