Fat Guy in a Little Bigger Boat

Hello all, that time again. 

Looking forward to the Labor Day Weekend run again. Haven't had much time for fishing. Been eyeing the reports, looks like some quality fish. It'll be a new game to figure out with electric riggers. I'm so used to the old misty with cranks. Looking forward to running into you folks.

Keep it tight!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

Good luck with the new rig Clark!  I’m on the Cape playing in my little dinghy again, no stripers yet.  Actually looking forward to getting home and getting my boat on the big O as soon as I get there.

IMG_8597.png

Hook up a live blue fish on a steel leader 🤣 

8 minutes ago, greenhornet73 said:

Clark, for what it’s worth I had 30 degree gimbal rod holders that I swapped out for 90 degree and dropped these adjustable tridents in.  They work awesome for planer boards and dipseys and are solid. Just a thought.IMG_8622.thumb.png.229aa367c43ec5b13e7356ce77ef56f9.png

Yeh,I looked at those, I like them but I think they'd be too intrusive. Problem is, I just replaced all the original hardware on the boat. The old ones were pretty pitted and the plastic inserts were dry rotted. Appreciate the input 👌 

I made do with manual for 25+ years then I had a little extra dough and there was a price war between 2 sellers on eBay and I bought 2 Big Jon pro tournament riggers for the unbelievable price of 500.00 a few years ago for fishing the central basin of Erie. but for the 1st few months, I walked around with a sore behind where I kept kicking myself for not getting electric many years sooner, LOL. I am getting older and cranking the manuals in was getting more like work than pleasure. using the electrics was a pleasure and so much easier and faster to use. no real learning curve to switch as they make it so much better. 

I have tried many weights with them. 2 years ago we bought a new to us boat. when we started to fish we had forgotten the 12# pancake weights at home. but the boat came with a set of used =Cannon riggers and 8# dredge weights that we had to use. To my amazement, those 8 # dredge weights worked better and had much less blowback than the 12# pancake weights I had been using. I just bought a new set of 10# dredge weights to see if they work any better, but haven't got to use them yet.

as for rod holders for using any of the divers like the ones I use the lite bits slide divers rigged like a dipsy with a 7' leader and I don't use the slide system, or the dipsy or the deeper diver I have settled on the Cannon ratcheting holders. the thing I like best is they can be set using one hand. I tried the Traxtech ratcheting holders because they have 17 up and down settings whereas the Cannons only have I think 6. but to set them it takes both hands so I switched back to the Cannon holders. after using them I could never go back to a stationary holder for running divers. when you get a fish on pulling back on the line making it a little bit of a pain to remove the rod from the stationary holders. but with the ratcheting holder, you just grab the rod and lift it up and the holder ratchets straight up then just lift the rod out of the holder. hodgesmarine.com is the best place I have found to buy them.

some people prefer the dual axis as the turn 360 whereas the single axis only turns 35 in each direction but you can choose the amount you turn them for fine-tuning the left to right adjustment. the duel axis uses a pin that sets the adjustment. you go from one hole to the next which may not align like you want. but the single can be adjusted 1/8"
if you want. they are a little more trouble to set but you only need to set them once.

6 minutes ago, sherman brown said:

I made do with manual for 25+ years then I had a little extra dough and there was a price war between 2 sellers on eBay and I bought 2 Big Jon pro tournament riggers for the unbelievable price of 500.00 a few years ago for fishing the central basin of Erie. but for the 1st few months, I walked around with a sore behind where I kept kicking myself for not getting electric many years sooner, LOL. I am getting older and cranking the manuals in was getting more like work than pleasure. using the electrics was a pleasure and so much easier and faster to use. no real learning curve to switch as they make it so much better. 

I have tried many weights with them. 2 years ago we bought a new to us boat. when we started to fish we had forgotten the 12# pancake weights at home. but the boat came with a set of used =Cannon riggers and 8# dredge weights that we had to use. To my amazement, those 8 # dredge weights worked better and had much less blowback than the 12# pancake weights I had been using. I just bought a new set of 10# dredge weights to see if they work any better, but haven't got to use them yet.

as for rod holders for using any of the divers like the ones I use the lite bits slide divers rigged like a dipsy with a 7' leader and I don't use the slide system, or the dipsy or the deeper diver I have settled on the Cannon ratcheting holders. the thing I like best is they can be set using one hand. I tried the Traxtech ratcheting holders because they have 17 up and down settings whereas the Cannons only have I think 6. but to set them it takes both hands so I switched back to the Cannon holders. after using them I could never go back to a stationary holder for running divers. when you get a fish on pulling back on the line making it a little bit of a pain to remove the rod from the stationary holders. but with the ratcheting holder, you just grab the rod and lift it up and the holder ratchets straight up then just lift the rod out of the holder. hodgesmarine.com is the best place I have found to buy them.

some people prefer the dual axis as the turn 360 whereas the single axis only turns 35 in each direction but you can choose the amount you turn them for fine-tuning the left to right adjustment. the duel axis uses a pin that sets the adjustment. you go from one hole to the next which may not align like you want. but the single can be adjusted 1/8"
if you want. they are a little more trouble to set but you only need to set them once.

You are a wealth of information Sherman! Thank you. What I've always liked about this site is that most folks with experience with multiple setups are more than willing to share their wisdom. Saves us weekend warriors alot of aggravation and money. 

Keep it tight!

Clark this is what I went to: a combination of Cannon gimbal with short section of track and three per side Cannon rod holders. Two of the rod holders are the dual axis toward the front of the boat on each side allowing flexibility in angling the rods when running multiples and the lat ones are single axis which seem better for dipsies as they are a bit sturdier.I generally run two dipsies per side and use the third for boards and thus far they work fine with no problems after a few years use. One of the beauties of it is I have no holes in my boat (other than one in the top  of the dash for the depthfinder wires) and everything comes off for storage etc. It then becomes a recreational boat when others want to go for a ride.

backside.jpg

backview.jpg

cannons.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

3 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Clark this is what I went to: a combination of Cannon gimbal with short section of track and three per side Cannon rod holders. Two of the rod holders are the dual axis toward the front of the boat on each side allowing flexibility in angling the rods when running multiples and the lat ones are single axis which seem better for dipsies as they are a bit sturdier.I generally run two dipsies per side and use the third for boards and thus far they work fine with no problems after a few years use. One of the beauties of it is I have no holes in my boat (other than one in the top  of the dash for the depthfinder wires) and everything comes off for storage etc. It then becomes a recreational boat when others want to go for a ride.

backside.jpg

backview.jpg

cannons.jpg

Yes, I really like your rig! Mine is similar, 2k Angler 180 walk through. A little tight but more comfortable. My question is, Like Hornet mentioned, is will they work on a 30° mount or do I have switch to 90°? There's only about a foot or so between rigger gimbal mount and the forward. Don't want to drill holes and use a backer plate for track system. 

Thanks Less

The one thing to mention is that because of the positioning of them in relation to my bimini mount. I can't use the bimini and rod holders at same time. The other 30 degree mounts (I have four inset on the boat are used for the riggers so that I can also use four downriggers if I wish and not run the dipsies etc.. I have electrical connections for each of the four positions.

Edited by Sk8man

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

The one thing to mention is that because of the positioning of them in relation to my bimini mount. I can't use the bimini and rod holders at same time. The other 30 degree mounts (I have four inset on the boat are used for the riggers so that I can also use four downriggers if I wish and not run the dipsies etc.. I have electrical connections for each of the four positions.

😆 same issue here with the Bimini. I'd love to put a custom soft top on it so the tie downs and frame are out of the way. Another grand!🤑😮‍💨

Yep mine was a factory install too. Wish I had had the option of having it done myself. But the top itself is a really good one....just the location

I have 72" of track on each side and run my 3 holders as far back as I can put them and still reach the back one. then i have them far enough apart so the reels clear each other. I have always set my holders toward the back and never really had any trouble using my top. now I do have my hooks for the back straps forward of where they would normally be. this allows me to use a 30 degree fixed holder for my net. I have 1 on each side so I have another net at the ready when the other 1 has fish in it.

I have used a set of riggers on the back of my tracks but had them forward enough to access the riggers, and moved my holders forward enough to clear the riggers. I have 3 holders for running my divers off each side and the 1 Big Jon rigger mounted on Big Jon slide releases with swivel mounts on pedestals on the inside of my gunnels. i run them at a 45 degree angle to the back corner. 

Boats( Bust Out Anther Thousand) Just Had to up grade  from a 18 .6 Crestliner to a 22 ft. Wellcraft just so the wife ( who is the boat driver) can take a pee !!! Get it this week end . Well see if I like heavy plastic boats.!!!