Keuka Keuka Lake August 2023 Fishing Report

Went on my 38th week-long vacation, and this time, it's my 5th year hauling my fishing boat along. Added some excitement this year with my newly acquired 21-foot Trophy Walkaround.

Most of the time, we were more into hunting exotics than specifically going after lake trout. We covered every nook of the Crooked Lake, mainly aiming for different spots and points, hoping to reel in some Atlantics or a Bow, but luck wasn't on our side this time.

But when we did decide to target lakers, things started picking up once we nailed down a plan. Our best setup was 8 rods cruising at 1.9 mph in 130 fow, and here's the gear we used:

- Planers

- 5 color with a Smithwick Firetiger stick bait

- 7 color with a Reel Rage Electric Muffin

- 220 weighted steel with a Reel Rage Brown Town

- 250 weighted steel with a Stingray "You Can't Afford It"

- Downriggers set at 50 feet and 55 degrees, holding a Moonshine Walleye 1/2 Moon Gold Perch, and a Warrior Flutter Purple UV Alewife, both with a good 30ft lead

- Wire Mag Slide Divers doing great work at 1.5 mph over 111 feet, loaded with Moonshine Walleye 1/2 Moons in Blue UV and Purple UV, each rocking a long 30-foot lead.

Our luckiest spot turned out to be along West Lake Road, around 2 miles south of Switz. At 130 fow, we teamed up with my dad, and things got wild—7 fish in an hour, even scoring a double and a triple catch back-to-back.

Unlike two years back, we noticed a shortage of bait this time, especially around the Bluff area.

Through the week, we kept about 4 lake trout for lunch. Funny thing, all their stomachs had were perch minnows.

Most of the catches were the usual 2 to 3-pounders, with a handful tipping the 4-pound mark. Those little fish must not have much of a shelf life with not much grub around.

Despite the rain playing spoilsport, it was an awesome week of fun. Gotta say, that boat cover was worth every penny, keeping us dry and happy!

IMG_7079.jpeg

IMG_7075.jpeg

IMG_7072.jpeg

IMG_7070.jpeg

IMG_7060.jpeg

IMG_1516.jpeg

IMG_7053.jpeg

Edited by adesalvo
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Bo Hunter said:

Very nice report Anthony.   Those small lakers do cook up well. With the lack of bait, I'll bet any size, shape or color lure would've caught those hungry lakers. Just have to put it in their range.

Your Trophy set up looks sweet.

Thanks Scott! See you down there in September! 

On 8/10/2023 at 2:42 PM, adesalvo said:

Went on my 38th week-long vacation, and this time, it's my 5th year hauling my fishing boat along. Added some excitement this year with my newly acquired 21-foot Trophy Walkaround.

Most of the time, we were more into hunting exotics than specifically going after lake trout. We covered every nook of the Crooked Lake, mainly aiming for different spots and points, hoping to reel in some Atlantics or a Bow, but luck wasn't on our side this time.

But when we did decide to target lakers, things started picking up once we nailed down a plan. Our best setup was 8 rods cruising at 1.9 mph in 130 fow, and here's the gear we used:

- Planers

- 5 color with a Smithwick Firetiger stick bait

- 7 color with a Reel Rage Electric Muffin

- 220 weighted steel with a Reel Rage Brown Town

- 250 weighted steel with a Stingray "You Can't Afford It"

- Downriggers set at 50 feet and 55 degrees, holding a Moonshine Walleye 1/2 Moon Gold Perch, and a Warrior Flutter Purple UV Alewife, both with a good 30ft lead

- Wire Mag Slide Divers doing great work at 1.5 mph over 111 feet, loaded with Moonshine Walleye 1/2 Moons in Blue UV and Purple UV, each rocking a long 30-foot lead.

Our luckiest spot turned out to be along West Lake Road, around 2 miles south of Switz. At 130 fow, we teamed up with my dad, and things got wild—7 fish in an hour, even scoring a double and a triple catch back-to-back.

Unlike two years back, we noticed a shortage of bait this time, especially around the Bluff area.

Through the week, we kept about 4 lake trout for lunch. Funny thing, all their stomachs had were perch minnows.

Most of the catches were the usual 2 to 3-pounders, with a handful tipping the 4-pound mark. Those little fish must not have much of a shelf life with not much grub around.

Despite the rain playing spoilsport, it was an awesome week of fun. Gotta say, that boat cover was worth every penny, keeping us dry and happy!

IMG_7079.jpeg

IMG_7075.jpeg

IMG_7072.jpeg

IMG_7070.jpeg

IMG_7060.jpeg

IMG_1516.jpeg

IMG_7053.jpeg

Good work. I grew up in Urbana and share your love for the lake. So many stories of fishing…boozing…fishing and fishing!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, java said:

Good work. I grew up in Urbana and share your love for the lake. So many stories of fishing…boozing…fishing and fishing!

as a kid we fished almost every morning and when I turned 14 and got my boat license we hung out daily at the rope swing just south of the waterfront 

Great report and great info---thanks!  Quick question, if you don't mind.  I just started fishing U-Charters slide divers and I didn't think I was getting down deep enough so I bought the Ultimate Accessory Ring and Weight Set.  I've been through a few nasty tangles with my lead core, so I run the divers on a #6 setting to get them as far away from the boat as I can (I run Chinook divers on a #4 setting).  With the slide divers on that setting, any idea how much wire I need to let out?  U-Charters doesn't seem to offer a chart with this "Ultimate" setup and from my googling, no one else seems to be able to find what I'm looking for either.  Does a 3 to 1 ratio sound right (3 feet out for every foot of depth)? 

On 8/13/2023 at 10:06 AM, Followed The Waves said:

Great report and great info---thanks!  Quick question, if you don't mind.  I just started fishing U-Charters slide divers and I didn't think I was getting down deep enough so I bought the Ultimate Accessory Ring and Weight Set.  I've been through a few nasty tangles with my lead core, so I run the divers on a #6 setting to get them as far away from the boat as I can (I run Chinook divers on a #4 setting).  With the slide divers on that setting, any idea how much wire I need to let out?  U-Charters doesn't seem to offer a chart with this "Ultimate" setup and from my googling, no one else seems to be able to find what I'm looking for either.  Does a 3 to 1 ratio sound right (3 feet out for every foot of depth)? 

I really like my slide divers and I am running the mag rings with the standard weight not the upgraded weight!   I find on a 1 setting it’s 1 foot down for every 2 feet out using wire dipsy line! 

when running divers I push my led cores way out on planers to avoid tangles.  

I have a fishawk TD that I have used to better understand that line to depth ratio! I haven’t done it on a 2 setting yet only the 1 setting that’s a 1 foot down for every 2 feet of line.   

I also run 50 feet of 30lb mono on the slide diver proper and tie the wire and mono via a nice barrel swivel that will feed into me rod and reels level wide guides.  

hope this helps!

hope this helps!

It does and thanks!  I got to thinking about it and I think what I'll do on my next trip out is to get the right speed going in 50 feet of water and slowly keep letting line out until I hit bottom.  I should be able to figure out the ratios from there.  I'm a little disappointed in the lack of info the manufacturer provides.  Grumble…

16 hours ago, Bait Bucket said:

Great report. I do two a year to keuka and do have some luck around the bluff. My question is, where did you find the warrior spoons, I cannot find them anywhere. Been looking for a while with no luck. 

I have found them at mitchels in rochester  and on their website.  The purple uv dr death however is proving to be elusive..   

http://www.warriorlures.com/FishingSpoonDisplay.aspx?ID=355

http://www.warriorlures.com/uveliteseries.aspx

Anthony, well done and thanks.  Looks like I am on the right track although I don't have the Lite Bite version.  I have been picking up a few fish on the slide divers.  Because I had it on hand, I'm running about 50 feet of 12 pound fluorocarbon down to a swivel about 4 feet above the spoon and then 10 pound fluorocarbon from the swivel to the spoon and I attached the spoon with just a snap.  For whatever reason, the 10 pound stuff seems so much smaller in diameter than the 12 pound.  Tight lines!

2 hours ago, adesalvo said:

I have been running the blood run seaflea 30# all year and haven’t had many on those rods all year.   

30 lb line takes all the fun out of fishing for 5lb Rainbows !!!! I know thats all that works. But still no fun