Keuka Keuka Lake August 2023 Fishing Report

3 hours ago, Crestliner said:

were talkin fingerlakes here.

3 hours ago, Crestliner said:

30 lb line takes all the fun out of fishing for 5lb Rainbows !!!! I know thats all that works. But still no fun

Yes, Keuka Lake. 

I'm using a 7 1/2' Eagle Claw with a 153 Coldwater reel spooled with 12 lb mono on a downrigger.  

The 30 lb SeaFlee is related to keeping the fleas off and is only the mainline which you leader off of with fluoro 8 to 10 lb or so. Rainbows do what they do regardless of whether it is 30 lb or 8 lb test and it still ends up being a lot of fun. In the old days before fleas you could use 8-12 lb main lines without  any problems but these fleas changed all that. All I ever used on Lake Ontario from the 70's till the arrival of fleas was 12 lb test and it withstood kings up to 32 lbs just fine on decent reels. Keeping fleas off i s now a primary task whether Fingers or Lake O. I have used the Sea Flee on riggers for about ten years or so and it helps a lot but nothing is totally "flea free"  when the fishook variety is real thick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

The 30 lb SeaFlee is related to keeping the fleas off and is only the mainline which you leader off of with fluoro 8 to 10 lb or so. Rainbows do what they do regardless of whether it is 30 lb or 8 lb test and it still ends up being a lot of fun. In the old days before fleas you could use 8-12 lb main lines without  any problems but these fleas changed all that. All I ever used on Lake Ontario from the 70's till the arrival of fleas was 12 lb test and it withstood kings up to 32 lbs just fine on decent reels. Keeping fleas off i s now a primary task whether Fingers or Lake O. I have used the Sea Flee on riggers for about ten years or so and it helps a lot but nothing is totally "flea free"  when the fishook variety is real thick.

Les, I really like the part about the 12 lb test withstanding kings up to 32 lbs.  Must've been a 35 pounder that broke me off, lol.  I love fishing light line, and in the summer, light leaders in combination with SeaFlee or something similar.

I hear ya Mike :smile:When my kid was 8 yrs old he caught one 30 lbs on 12 lb test

mrksalmona.jpg

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Getting back to Keuka. I can't presently locate the pic but I had one of the downrigger clogged with them so bad on Keuka it stopped coming up until cleared and it was a strand about 3 ft long too illustrating that line diameter is not the total answer:lol:

5 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Getting back to Keuka. I can't presently locate the pic but I had one of the downrigger clogged with them so bad on Keuka it stopped coming up until cleared and it was a strand about 3 ft long too illustrating that line diameter is not the total answer:lol:

Hopefully they won't be bad. Been doing the holiday weekend there for about 8 years and never really had an issue with them. If anything, maybe the eye tip gets a bite blocked up. I just use the light line and setup there because I'm not chasing giants in that lake. 

Yep it is one of those things....once in awhile you run into high densities of them. Keuka is kinda like fishing three different lakes sometimes anyway each branch can be quite different:smile:

Les, still using the old 20lb flea flicker from Cortland on my DR's. Been on there for 15 years, just before they stopped making it. Every time I go to change it out, I just can't bring myself to taking it off. Still works!!

Boy ,I really stirred  up the pot. My top lines are all 12lb.mono. that s all the way to the bottom  of reel . end gets frayed , just cut it off . real gets thin Replace. thats Rainbow  fun.!!! . On the Big Lake. Used to catch Kings on 4lb test on 14 ft noodle rods . We we trying to set record back in ESLO Days. Hrs long battles nursing in fish.  Always had something on  while big gear trolled off other side.  Nice Pic SK8M

Fished Canandaigua this morning. Caught some Rainbows one nice eater. Fleas very bad. Old uncle drivin. Me flickin fffffk fleas. Bite has been slow . Lake rolled over awhile back . All fish on Dipseys with heavy sutton spoons with flashers going fast. Lots of bait balls with lots of fish in them good to see . Mostly 20 to 40 ft. down over 130 to 150. Could not even snag one. Ha.

• Like 1

Hi , 

I am a new member from Pennsylvania , I would like to ask you if you have any suggestions or where is best to fish in Lake Ontario , I will be vacationing second week of September . My boat is at the lighthouse marina near Pulaski next to the salmon river , any tips how far should I fish I am new fishing this lake any recommendation is welcomed . 
thank you. 

Went out yesterday sodus went to 500ft. nothing fish have shut off. Go bassfishin!!! lakers rainbows  Lots of markes no bites sometnin a changin HUUMMM. No little ones either. lures got washed nice and clean!!!