Keuka - suggestions on jigging for lake trout

If you don’t get any other replies, I would suggest looking at your graph and finding the steepest drop-off locations( contour lines that are closest together). I don’t fish Keuka but trolling other finger lakes I find the largest concentrations of fish along points and those step drops.  White tube on a 1/2oz jig head and don’t forget lakers like to chase from the bottom so occasionally speed reel your jig from bottom up 10-15’ then stop (hold) then drop back down. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We fish there a lot.  Use 1ounce jigs mid day.  In the mornings you can use the 1/2 ounce jigs as they are shallow or use any thing you mentioned.  Blade baits, jig rapalas, and cleos all will work.  The fish are small, a 24 incher is a decent fish.  We start at day lite in shallow and once they scatter we go to 100 feet.  I think we might be missing something that deep but it is not my boat and we do get a slow steady bite there and a lot of bumbies.  Up near the state launch and down at the bluff (where the two parts join).   You will see little bait.  I have no idea what happened to the ciscos that they stocked maybe the lakers ate too many.......jk

Love jigging for lakers on Keuka. There are a lot of them in that lake. My method is to find some on my fish finder then jig for them. Note that the ones sitting on the bottom do not show up on my fish finder. However if I see just one I will drop the jig over it and quite often the fish on the bottom will head up towards the jig as it is falling. I watch the fish finder and then just before the fish gets to the jig I start reeling up at a moderate speed and get ready for a hit. In the spring they will be in 50-70 fow. In summer 100 fow is a good depth. In the winter 150 fow will be good. Have had good luck with smaller chartreuse paddle tails on 3/4 oz jig head. Sometimes they go for silver Kastmasters.  Jigging around the end of the bluff is a good place to start. Love the spot lock on my Terrova Minn Kota trolling motor for lining up right over the lakers.

• Like 2

All good info. There's been a few threads over the years on here regarding jigging Keuka - try search for the phrase "jigging lake trout" or "jigging lakers". Light braided line and a fluorocarbon leader, diamond jigs like Deadly Dicks or gumball jigs. Twister tails and fluke in white. We used to crush them later in the year off the points, but they may be spawning then.

General pointers on jigging for Flx lakers: 7’ mh rod, baitcasting reel, 12 lb superbraid to 5’ 8lb floro leader ( Albright knot). Have 3/4 - 1.5 oz jig heads - sharp sharp hooks. White super fluke , and chartreuse. Find a concentration of lakers- don’t jig where there are no fish ( keep looking). Use bowmount to maintain position. Drop straight down, bounce 3 times ( that’s it!) then rapid retrieval. Most hits are light, like a ‘tick’. When a ‘tick’ is detected set hook absolutely immediately, many people just miss a lot of the hits. They will chase on retrieval as well and this hit is unmistakable. They will hit on the drop sometimes, best advice for anything but the retrieval hit ( instant rod load) is set the hook anytime something seems off. In general 50-60 fow is great, keeping the jig vertical gets tougher at 100. Start with 3/4 , increase as necessary to maintain vertical presentation. Did I mention that you absolutely should find a concentration of fish. Yeah I did. If you can’t find a concentration you are far better off trolling drop offs or wherever you can find bait 

• Like 1

Oh white tube jigs(by Getis) is most common in our boat.  But paddle tails and Berkley minnows of white color with florescent green or what ever tails also are common.  I always try something different on our boat like the metal baits and rapapl ice fishing jigs.  Reread guff's, chowder's and Gator post again and again.   /try everything and see what works for you.  A lot of GOOD info from some good fisherman there.......jk

Your tips came from very knowledgeable guys so you can rely on the info, but also know it can be a rather difficult lake to fish sometimes too nowadays but I think the fish are also pretty desperate for food there which can be a plus . Best of luck with it:smile:

Yeah, what those guys said.  I never fished Keuka but when the jig bite was hot on Seneca (pre-lamprey decimation), I’d just drop it to the bottom, RIP it back, drop it to the bottom, RIP it back…. If you get your fishfinder set up right, it’s a blast to “watch the show on the TV.”  It’s very interactive.  You watch your jig going down and the fish coming up.  When the fish and jig meet, start reeling like you’re swimming for your life.  I’ve had plenty chase it right to the boat and even break water (yes, lake trout).  A 3” white tube on a 1oz jig head was my go-to rig with 10lb braid and a 10’ fluorocarbon leader.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

When we see only one fish we throttle up the motor fast on a tight turn and that sometime (most times) bring the rest of the herd into view on the TV.  We live on the TV someone is always reading it to the others.   The hard hits to tell are when you are pounding bottom with the jig, they seem to try to push it futher into the bottom.   Makes a weird hit = set the hook.  Lots of bumpies on every trip.  we have only snagged up maybe once a year so dont worry about the bottom....jk

• 2 months later...