Rudder extension on a 31 Tiara

pole setter

They work excellent,  Tiaras have smallish rudders to begin with . Difference is night and day , figure around a grand to do them . The extension are welded on , that's the only way to do them . Highly recommended and would do it to just about any boat I owned to be used for trolling , especially with auto pilot . 

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the info and the pics! Do the Rutter extension effect the steering at higher speeds say up on plane cruising speed? 

Bozeman do you have any pictures of your set up? Just curious why do you feel welding is better then say Phil2 set up? 

Edited by pole setter

1 hour ago, phil2 said:

Not a issue turned it into a race car turns on a dime and no weird vibrations. No more issue with autopilot maxing out with the big amish trolling bag. A definite need to do. 

Any chance you can PM me with info on who made your extensions?

1 hour ago, Bozeman Bob said:

Should be able to see the outline . Doesn't affect high speed . Bolt on or flush professionally done job ,do it once ,do it right .

IMG_20230504_185505042_HDR.jpg

Nice thank you for the reply back. Can you pm with any recommendations on who welded your up? How much did they add to your rudders (dimensions)?

1 hour ago, Missdemeanor said:

I have Chinook rudders on my 31 Baha .. fantastic! Boat's trolling and On plane performance is night and day from the stock rudders. Another guy in my Marina has them on a 31 Tiara... I know he loves them as well

Thank you for sharing I will have to check out the chinook rudders. 

I think it really depends on the boat.  Make sure if you add to them do it even.  If you go 3 inches horizontal, you do the same vertical.  I don't need them on my 36 Tiara.  The factory rudders more than suffice.  However, it can also be autopilot related.  The Simrad in my opinion is the best autopilot on the market.  Reaction time of the pilot is everything. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Go with Mike Yorks - Propellor Works in Canandaigua - he built me a set for my 33. Definitely beefier than the chinook rudders.   Take him your old rudders he will cut keyways perfect so they drop right in - no issues spacing them out etc.