Jackasses that ruin it for all

Here comes a confession..... I went on a bird watching forum on Facebook... Used my name, but I would watch the reports of the birdwatchers about all the sea ducks they would see miles offshore with their spotting scopes.... Once the species that I wanted to hunt started showing up in their surveys, I'd head out offshore, drift a line of Scoter blocks and have a great day ...

The people finally figured out what was happening and they stopped posting waterfowl sightings... 

Was it illegal? ... Nope... Not at all..... Was I a d!Ck for using their information? Maybe.... But sometimes it pays off to be resourceful. 

Now these guys using the Internet to poach... That's no bueno... And that fine they got is laughable... 

• Like 1

As far as fines are concerned, yes that is laughable for some yet the same amount of money is a hardship for others.

To equalize the punishment the judges should stick these people in jail for a week or so.

That would be a far more equal punishment

2 minutes ago, rolmops said:

As far as fines are concerned, yes that is laughable for some yet the same amount of money is a hardship for others.

To equalize the punishment the judges should stick these people in jail for a week or so.

That would be a far more equal punishment

Jail time and a steep fine.  The laughable game fines in New York are not a deterrence for people.  The fines should be a hardship for EVERYONE.  If you don't want to pay fines, don't break the law!  

Tangent to this...

I've only been hunting for a few years, so I don't have an entrenched perspective on this question, but has NY ever done much to control the population of its suburban deer?  I live in southern Erie county and we are overrun with them.

Nearly every time I drive down the time I see multiple deer along the Cheektowaga stretch.

I have to think there's been quite a few people hurt or worse in car accidents because of them.  ****, I've taken our two in the last three years.

I'm not advocating what these guys did or suggesting they should be exterminated, but seems like the experts could put forward a couple suggestions to control their population instead of leaving the task to motorists just trying to get from point A to point B. 

43 minutes ago, lachsforelle said:

has NY ever done much to control the population of its suburban deer? 

I'm not a hunter, but I know that "contolled hunts" have been conducted in the Town of Irondequoit, very urban area adjoining the City of Rochester. Controlled => designated area(s), specific days, times, bow only.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/rochester/news/2023/10/24/bow-hunt-helps-control-irondequoit-s-deer-population#:~:text=Since 1996%2C Irondequoit has run,There are strict guidelines. 

• Like 1

It is entirely up to individual towns. If towns want bow only areas, a proposition could be voted on. There have been baited hunts at night in Amherst done by local police officers. Not sure if they still are conducting these shoots as remarkably a 12 gauge slug ended up going through the second story bedroom where a child was sleeping during one of the deer shoots near a neighborhood (I have no idea) 

9 hours ago, Gill-T said:

It is entirely up to individual towns. If towns want bow only areas, a proposition could be voted on. There have been baited hunts at night in Amherst done by local police officers. Not sure if they still are conducting these shoots as remarkably a 12 gauge slug ended up going through the second story bedroom where a child was sleeping during one of the deer shoots near a neighborhood (I have no idea) 

You just pointed out the problem with these "controlled" hunts.  The "hunters". Since when does the fact that one is a policeman or fireman for that matter, make  one a good and responsible hunter? Or is this often a little adventure thrown to people as a moral booster?

• Like 1

Absolutely.  They should've requested the assistance of the local field and stream or required applications (with interviews) of interested, qualified hunters.

But, yea, I love the idea.  Put some sort of control on their population besides car traffic.

When Irondequoit had the sheriff's " harvesting" the deer at night in Durand Eastman Park, my brother ran the front end loader for the Parks Department.  The deer could not be used for food as they were so malnourished.   He said John Hauber was the wildlife biologist assigned to the shooting, and John sawed through a leg on one of the dead deer and there was no marrow, the deer were so starved.  No one really wants to shoot deer just to shoot them, do they?  I hunt with the idea of eating venison, but these urban deer are often not healthy enough to provide wholesome food.