Laker question …

When I target Lakers I use cowbells, and I go to the bottom, and I slow it down to about 1.5 miles an hour.

Some of the videos I have seen this winter,  captains talk about running for kings and lakers at the same time. 
Because I’m running between 2.5 to 3.0 mph for kings typically, is this a speed good for lakers as well? 
Because I usually pull a lot of my poles before setting up my laker cowbells knowing I’m gonna be going 1.5 or less. It’s kind of a commitment to say, ok let go for lakers now bc things are slow. 
Just wondering if what I’m doing is right or if I should tweak my approach. 
I hope the LOU peeps are well, this weather is getting me stir crazy to go fishing!

As always, thx for any feedback and let’s pray that mahomes loses and cries on national television about a bad call. 

49 minutes ago, Bustersit said:

When I target Lakers I use cowbells, and I go to the bottom, and I slow it down to about 1.5 miles an hour.

Some of the videos I have seen this winter,  captains talk about running for kings and lakers at the same time. 
Because I’m running between 2.5 to 3.0 mph for kings typically, is this a speed good for lakers as well? 
Because I usually pull a lot of my poles before setting up my laker cowbells knowing I’m gonna be going 1.5 or less. It’s kind of a commitment to say, ok let go for lakers now bc things are slow. 
I hope the LOU peeps are well, this weather is getting me stir crazy to go fishing!

As always, thx for any feedback and let’s pray that mahomes loses and cries on national television about a bad call. 

You can do it with dodgers, flashers and traps at king speeds and it will put a couple lakers in the boat.  It's not as effective as 1.0-1.8 at the ball with cowbells and rigs.  I do run high rods for kings, steelhead and browns at times while laker fishing.  I use Stingers and bend them so they work at slow speeds.  The only issue with catching Kings while laker fishing that slow is the kings 90% of the time charge the boat and end up passing the boat.  

Especially early in the season ( like now to mid April) slower speeds near bottom are more effective for me on Western end of Lake Ontario. Cowbells are my go to BUT there are days when mag spoons are more effective. 

Edited by chowder
Spelling

You should be able to run a lot of stuff at 1.5mph.  If Im focusing on lakers Ill usually have a couple of boards out as they really dont get in the way at all.  We used to catch quite a few kings laker fishing pulling flat lined deep diving cranks slowly in deep water back in the day.  Most deep diving crank baits run great at slow speeds.  Most spoons should run fine as well but towing the line of the slow end of things is where a fishhawk really helps.  A bit of current and you could be pulling something that wont produce.  Id still rather have an extra rod or two out either way.  Cant hurt!

Try a rotator, your choice and a spin-n-glo. Lengthen the lead on the spin-n-glo, we run this about 3-5' off the bottom at 2.2-2.7mph SOG.  Lakers take it no problem, Deadly in Norther Lake Huron, allows for other king presentations. multi-species doubles not uncommon for us!

When I need to, I’ll put a SD out with a Gambler Rig on at a bit over 30” long and run this on the bottom with my silver fish spread and it works, but by no means, no matter what others say, the Gambler Rig behind Hammerhead cowbells running under 2mph is way more deadly on lakers. 

On 2/8/2024 at 1:22 PM, Bustersit said:

I've marked salmon many times while laker fishing. I run laker gear that works at 1.8 2.1 mph and when I mark salmon I drop down a couple meat rigs on diver rods. Works for me.