I'm looking forward to another LOC season. I wish Monroe County had a weigh station that was open later than 4:00. There is only one weigh station in the county, and it closes earlier than any other station. If you hook into a decent fish after 3:00-3:30, chances are good that you won't make the weigh station before closing. The next closest weigh station from I-Bay is a 20-mile ride/drive to Hughs Marina in Williamson. I sure miss the days when there were multiple weigh stations close by.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:10 PM, rolmops said:

Maybe ,just maybe you can talk Allison ,Bills daughter, at Mayers Marina into this.  I suspect that she will decline but you never know.

I don’t see that happening, although it would be convenient.

If Monroe Co. would promote our fantastic fishery more, maybe that would inspire another tackle shop or two to open and become a weigh station. Other than Mitchels in Charlotte, which used to be a weigh station before the Port Marina on the river got it, where can Monroe Co. fisherman buy tackle?  Rt. 18 tackle is 35 mi. west, and Sodus Pt. Is the same from I-Bay.  Sportsman’s Warehouse doesn’t make it IMO. 

Bottom line, one weigh station in Monroe Co. that is only open 10-4 is a joke. 

In my mind weigh stations should all have to be on same schedule.  I missed out on a top 10 fish last year because my nearest weigh station closed at 5 and the next closest closed at like 8 but I couldn’t get boat back to dock and drive there in time.  Had the fish in the net at 730pm.  Seems it makes it unfair depending on what part of lake you fish

You have a good point. Either the entrepreneur who runs this competition will have to provide weigh-in stations lake wide, or, at the very least have all weigh-in stations open and close at the same time.

I do not really believe that these things will happen, but it would level the playing field

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

I have to Agree about the hours. Some counties have 11 hours of open weigh stations and Monroe County is the only place that only has 6 Hours. Fishing after work hours during the week is pretty much out of the question. I don't mind the hours starting later but closing at 4:00 pm compared to 8:00 pm is a huge disadvantage. 

The weigh stations are not paid to do this.  It's a lot of hassle for not getting paid.

That's why I doubt Mayers would want to do it. There's no benefit for them. It needs to be a tackle shop, so it brings in possible patrons. Unfortunately, most of the tackle shops in the Monroe County area have closed. 

I agree hours should be consistent across the board we missed weigh in this past season. Even called Dave to see if he could possibly help weigh the fish and was basically told in a nice way sorry your sh*t out of luck. But whatever went back out the next day and got my son another 1st place youth fish … and I still had to throw it in a cooler and drive all the way to hughes from shumway. 
for what it’s worth I’d throw an extra 5 or 10 bucks in entry fees if loc would use it to pay a Rochester weigh station …. Something to think about … hell I’d be ok if Ryan at Mitchell’s charged me 5 bucks to weigh a fish so I wouldn’t have to drive 30-40 min to weigh a fish 

IMG_5388.jpeg

IMG_5479.jpeg

Edited by minion
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bad Habit said:

The weigh stations are not paid to do this.  It's a lot of hassle for not getting paid.

That's why I doubt Mayers would want to do it. There's no benefit for them. It needs to be a tackle shop, so it brings in possible patrons. Unfortunately, most of the tackle shops in the Monroe County area have closed. 

The only reason why I mentioned Mayers is their gas service. They would probably pump a lot more gas thus making it worth their while.

15 minutes ago, rolmops said:

The only reason why I mentioned Mayers is their gas service. They would probably pump a lot more gas thus making it worth their while.

I doubt it would make a difference in their sales.  The number of fishermen that fish the derby from Ibay is low.  IF they use the launch and fish out of Ibay, they are not going to pay for gas on the water when they can get it way cheaper on land.  

12 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

I doubt it would make a difference in their sales.  The number of fishermen that fish the derby from Ibay is low.  IF they use the launch and fish out of Ibay, they are not going to pay for gas on the water when they can get it way cheaper on land.  

Agreed, the numbers out of I bay or even Rochester in general are crazy low compared to the west end or Sodus.

3 hours ago, Shakemsam said:

Agreed, the numbers out of I bay or even Rochester in general are crazy low compared to the west end or Sodus.

And for good reason. The group that I fish with usually rents a place in Olcot for a week. It makes for a lot more action.

Besides, it is sort of a yearly tradition to start the season.

38 minutes ago, rolmops said:

And for good reason. The group that I fish with usually rents a place in Olcot for a week. It makes for a lot more action.

Besides, it is sort of a yearly tradition to start the season.

Agreed. And I do the same, usually at the Oak.

Just another reason why there is not another weigh station.