CB Radio Battery Connectors

Hello All,

I have to rewire the CB radio that came with my boat.  It wasn't working, so I took it out to directly connect to power and it functions fine.  The wiring under the console is a mess.  I'll have to cram my big head in the small space and try to figure it out with my bad eyes.  The connector has 6 leads.  Two are clearly + and - power, the other 4 are thinner traces.  I have no idea what they are for.  There is a seperate cord for the antenna.  Searching the internet, I found no 6-trace CB connectors.  Are the 4 connections extraneous?

Thanks for any advice.

• Like 1

if it bothers you go to Google or YouTube and search for wiring up the radio you have.

I haven't wired up a VHF radio for years but the best I remember I only used the plus and negative wires. I believe the other wires might be for external speakers or a PA system. but don't quote that as I'm not sure about any of this except just using the power and ground wires.

If the radio has DSC capabilities some of the other wires will be for an NMEA connection to your plotter, allowing the radio to broadcast your location during an emergency.

You should be able to find a digital copy of the owners manual on the internet.

My VHF radio has its own dedicated power wire directly to the battery.

Edited by J.D.

Thanks for the help everyone.  I figured out that two are for external speakers, two are for GPS so the Coast Guard can track you off your broadcasts.  I have a GPS on each of my fishfinders, plus one in my smartphone so I guess I can ignore them.

What brand and year is it?

I have some wiring diagrams laying around , so maybe I can help you with color codes and stuff.

Anyway, we are living in the age of the smart phone and the cb is going the way of the dinosaurs.

Edited by rolmops

Sounds like you have a VHF Radio with DSC capability which when connected to a GPS can send a formatted distress call to USCG if you have a MMSI number.  Sounds complicated but is relatively simple and inexpensive to register your vessel information.  Can get MMSI through Boat US free.  Worth looking into IMO.  Different piece of equipment than a CB radio.

10 hours ago, mr 580 said:

Sounds like you have a VHF Radio with DSC capability which when connected to a GPS can send a formatted distress call to USCG if you have a MMSI number.  Sounds complicated but is relatively simple and inexpensive to register your vessel information.  Can get MMSI through Boat US free.  Worth looking into IMO.  Different piece of equipment than a CB radio.

Def not a CB. VHF radio wire colors are all standardized. just google the model and you can probably find a manual.