You guys are running med heavy for wire divers rite? I know it’s a stupid question but I started running 9 ft med heavy last year. I was running 10 ft medium lights that I bought off someone. Great bend on the rod when trolling but when I would hookup it was almost unmanageable. But I could see more of what was going on in the rod tip when trolling.

1 hour ago, hookedupf7 said:

You guys are running med heavy for wire divers rite? I know it’s a stupid question but I started running 9 ft med heavy last year. I was running 10 ft medium lights that I bought off someone. Great bend on the rod when trolling but when I would hookup it was almost unmanageable. But I could see more of what was going on in the rod tip when trolling.

Yup med heavy 9’s and 9&1/2’s

I feel some of my diver rods are to stiff. They seem to pull smaller trebs

( 1/0 or smaller )  out of the fishs mouth . I have a custom made and older Eagle claw that have more of a parabolic softer  action i like better . 

I like a 10' medium rod for running my lite bite slide divers on walleye on Erie's central basin. I want some give in my rod. I had some nice fish pull the hook even using my medium rods. I have been thinking about trying to find a med/light 10' rod on eBay but I haven't looked yet.

On 3/16/2024 at 10:09 AM, hookedupf7 said:

You talking for salmon or trout and what brand of rod are you talking about? Also are you talking roller guides or regular guides with a twili tip? These variables make a big difference.

2 hours ago, spoonfed-1 said:

You talking for salmon or trout and what brand of rod are you talking about? Also are you talking roller guides or regular guides with a twili tip? These variables make a big difference.

I am talking salmon. Like I said the medium lights have a good report on the rods but when it was game time they seemed way to light. I have diawa Greg lakes med heavy now . 

1 hour ago, hookedupf7 said:

I am talking salmon. Like I said the medium lights have a good report on the rods but when it was game time they seemed way to light. I have diawa Greg lakes med heavy now . 

I always ran Shimano Taloras for salmon. The medium weight would land any salmon in the lake. Plenty of backbone and still enjoy the battle. The Talora roller guide rods for wire were a bit stiff but not horrible. Okumas were a much lighter action rod and the same rating between the Taloras and Okuma Blue diamonds was considerable. Good luck.

• Like 1