for sale : usa Looking for cheap downrigger weights

I have found the dredge weights to work the best with less blowback than all the others I have tried. I used 12# pancake weights to reduce blowback. One trip in the boat we just bought the weights didn't get loaded. we found a set of 8# dredge weights that we had to use. they worked better with less blowback than my 12# pancake weights had. I bought a set of 10# dredge weights to use but haven't used them yet.

WALLMART is the best option I know of for the lowest price on rigger weights. and they have a pretty good choice of weights. they have the 10# dredge weights in silver for only 34.00 each. they have pink and purple priced at 42.00. but they have several balls with fin weights at much better prices.

2 hours ago, sherman brown said:

I have found the dredge weights to work the best with less blowback than all the others I have tried. I used 12# pancake weights to reduce blowback. One trip in the boat we just bought the weights didn't get loaded. we found a set of 8# dredge weights that we had to use. they worked better with less blowback than my 12# pancake weights had. I bought a set of 10# dredge weights to use but haven't used them yet.

WALLMART is the best option I know of for the lowest price on rigger weights. and they have a pretty good choice of weights. they have the 10# dredge weights in silver for only 34.00 each. they have pink and purple priced at 42.00. but they have several balls with fin weights at much better prices.

Thanks for information 

3 hours ago, steelie1 said:

I have a box of 10-12 of them if ya want them.  You would have to pick them up because they’re way too heavy to ship when I’m in northeast PA.

Sherman—can you clarify how you use dredge weights to reduce blow back…I looked on YouTube and I found a dredge weight but it looks like an over signed Alabama rig you attach to a fish-shaped downrigger weight… I cannot see how this configuration would decrease blowback when it just adds more surface area to the weight.

6 hours ago, steelie1 said:

I have a box of 10-12 of them if ya want them.  You would have to pick them up because they’re way too heavy to ship when I’m in northeast PA.

How far are you from Scranton? We go through there often on our way to see kids in NJ.

1 minute ago, Kevin J Legg said:

I’ll be headed down the last week of April and could get them at that time. How much are you asking?

10 hours ago, steelie1 said:

I’m in scranton

What weights are they?

15 hours ago, Pair of Jacks said:

Sherman—can you clarify how you use dredge weights to reduce blow back…I looked on YouTube and I found a dredge weight but it looks like an over signed Alabama rig you attach to a fish-shaped downrigger weight… I cannot see how this configuration would decrease blowback when it just adds more surface area to the weight.

1st off I have no idea what you're talking about. A downrigger dredge weight is the weight that attaches to your DR cable that takes your lures down. it doesn't attach to your DR weight as it is your DR weight.

just go to Walmart's site and do a search for downrigger weights. they carry several designs of rigger weights with the dredge weight being one of them. the design with the little wings with the downward angle causes them to dive better than other weights of the same weight. which causes less blowback as they aren't just weight but the diving design helps them pull down with a deeper dive curve than other weights.

I really hope this clears up any confusion you have.

when we forgot our 12# pancake weights and found the 8# dredge weight on the boat I thought we would have a lot more blowback than the pancake weights. but when we let them down and set the blowback was much less with the 8# weight over the 12# pancake weights I had been using for years.

Sherman—sorry for the confusion… you stated in your original post,”I have found the dredge weights to work the best with less blowback than all the others I have tried.”  So I search google for Dredge weights and found this:  https://fishrazr.com/dredge-pulling-kit-in-waterproof-box-with-6lb-fish-weight/

If I now understand your post a dredge weight is just a downrigger weight shaped like a fish…correct?

4 hours ago, Pair of Jacks said:

Sherman—sorry for the confusion… you stated in your original post,”I have found the dredge weights to work the best with less blowback than all the others I have tried.”  So I search google for Dredge weights and found this:  https://fishrazr.com/dredge-pulling-kit-in-waterproof-box-with-6lb-fish-weight/

If I now understand your post a dredge weight is just a downrigger weight shaped like a fish…correct?

No, a dredge weight works like a planer board only it pulls down instead of out to port or starboard. Kinda the same idea as a dipsy diver.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steelydan said:

No, a dredge weight works like a planer board only it pulls down instead of out to port or starboard. Kinda the same idea as a dipsy diver.

you have it right!! I love these weights. I can't wait until I get to try the 10# ones I bought. 

HAPPY FISHING TO EVERYONE AND THE BEST OF LUCK.

try googling downrigger dredge weight and see what you get.

and yes a dredge weight is shaped like a fish. but it has small front fins that are set to cause the weight to dive downward which it actually dives and pulls the weight down. I just went and did a Google search for downrigger dredge weight and got several different sites that have them. eBay has good prices on some of them but Walmart isn't bad.

7 hours ago, Pair of Jacks said: