Can you really load a rod with Scotty releases?

Yes, you can crank them down as hard as you want. There is also a tab you can pull out on the Scotty pinch pad that makes the tension even tighter. No problem 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 4:38 PM, Great_Laker said:

Yes, you can crank them down as hard as you want. There is also a tab you can pull out on the Scotty pinch pad that makes the tension even tighter. No problem 

OK but does anyone have concerns about the release fraying  the line, be it mono or braid?  I use the Scotty release and understood that one should always wrap their line with rubber bands to prevent this. Hearing from others on this would be really interesting. Or is this overkill on my part! 

16 hours ago, laker1 said:

OK but does anyone have concerns about the release fraying  the line, be it mono or braid?  I use the Scotty release and understood that one should always wrap their line with rubber bands to prevent this. Hearing from others on this would be really interesting. Or is this overkill on my part! 

I've been running scotty releases since about 1994 and haven't experienced any line damage from the release.  Mono on the rigger rods but I run 65 lb braid for backer on my copper rods and clamp on the braid with scotty releases off the big boards and no damage.

58 minutes ago, spoonfed-1 said:

I've been running scotty releases since about 1994 and haven't experienced any line damage from the release.  Mono on the rigger rods but I run 65 lb braid for backer on my copper rods and clamp on the braid with scotty releases off the big boards and no damage.

X2 on the Scottys

I don't recall a single incident of having line break from a Scotty's release, and that's all we use. Of course, we catch mainly small fish lol...

Went to Scotty’s 3 years ago so I could  see the small fish hitting. Also use them for my copper and clip the copper right to it. Love them.