Copper Rods

OK I'm working on setting up my copper. Are those 9ft Uglys the best? What action rod do I want? I was looking at Shimano rods thats why I ask. Thre is nothing special about guides right?

I have my copper reels on 7' Okuma lead core rods ($20),and 7' MH Ugly Stiks($30). I stick the chute copper in the arch to quickly eliminate it as an issue when a rigger or dipsy fires. Have had no problems w/ using the 7' rods off the boards, I do have a decent set of Berts trax & holders so I can spread things out but I don't have planer holders off the masts/arch & I don't seem to need them. The Ugly stiks have a better handle, other than that the action/speed seems similar. It seems much easier to reset and bring in fish w/ the 7' rods than the longer rods I was using last year and they are sure a lot easier to store. I got the 7' Okumas from Fish Dog and the Ugli's from Sport's Authority.

Like Chowder, I use 7' rods, mine are the inexpensive Shimano TDR rods in Heavy action. My thinking on the subject is that the heavy rod makes the fight easier on the fisherman, however, some guys loose fish because they do not keep up with the rod/fish. This may be elimiated by using a longer rod.

CC