Usually fished out there with two guys. This year a third has joined us. 2 Downriggers on the boat. How would you run the rods? I usually run two on riggers and two dipsy rods. Normally I would just stack the other two rods but I have seen alot about running four dipsys these days. Where would you add the other two lines, Downrigger or dipsys, and why?

Thanks,

Spike

Spike,

I fish a lot with three guys - here's my "start-up" spread late May - July 95% of the time:

2 riggers - both with cheaters (I only have two riggers on my boat)

2 wire Dipsy's

one leadcore on an in-line planer

either a 10-color leadcore or copper down the chute

As the fish bite, I'll adjust my presentation accordingly...

- Chris

I always ran 2 riggers with free sliders on each. 1 dipsey on either side (either 2 wires or 1 wire and 1 braided with a slide diver) and either a leadcore down the chute or a mono rod with a lead shot and steelehead lure if I am seeing fish around the surface. Just get the chute rod in if you hook into a nice fish.

Added a 3rd gimbal mounted rigger this year and run a tight and shallow flasher fly set-up in the middle to draw them into the spread.

Spike,

I agree with Chris, but I would make a set of Planner Boards or In the wanted to buy section there is a set of 15' outriggers for sale for $40. I would run off both riggers with cheaters on each (one rigger at 50' with a cheater about 10' above, next rigger at 60' with cheater 15' above) this will give you starting depths at 60, 50, 45 and 40', copper down the chute, a 5 or 10 color lead core on a planner and 2 wire lines with dipsy's set at 2 1/2. Just your rods according to the conditions a fish patterns and you will do just fine.

Shade

Spike You could also run 4 dipsey 2 on each side 1 at a 2 1/2 setting and then the other 1 at 1 to 1/2 settings and then the 2 riggers I believe you have a Lund like mine(96 inch beam) If I would have had 2 more wire rods this spring at the bar I would have run this setup. My buddy does this all of the time it should give you a wide enough spread so you shouldn't tangle(unless you cut a corner to tight).That is going to be my goal this winter is getting 2 more wire set ups.Just my 2 cents

I guess I forgot to add I usually fish in late July to mid August.

Not sure the planers are worth it then. Erbyjoe I do have a Lund sport angler. I was also thinking about the 4 wire rods but wasn't sure if I should go for that or a copper set up. I know last year the first trip fish were out deeper over deeper water. Fishing over 500-600'. Lots of boats using copper. Next trip two weeks later most of the fishing was over 125-350'. Most of the boats were not using the copper due to the increase in traffic.

So I would hate to have a copper set up that I could only use a week of my NY season. I am not sure how much tangle problems a 4 dipsey set up could be. Would the outside ones be run further back/deeper? We did have a few kings that got into the dipsey when landing last year. One line wasn't a big deal but two could cause a mess. Was hoping to get some feedback on that.

I can't wait. Just hope the reports get better before I arrive early August.

Spike

The farther away from the boat the SHOLLOWER you go. When you run 2 dipsy's always run inside poll (deeper and farther back) at a lower angle than the outside poll (shallow) and poll at higher angle. Set your disy's at 1 1/2 - 2 settings on inside polls and 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 on outside polls. Another thing I do is I purchased 11' rods to run outside and 10' rods for inside.

You need to be flexable and copper is great down the shoot it also blows the rule of closer to the boat the deeper the line because there are many boats out there that run 400' and 600' copper off their boards. Copper runs 20' deep per 100' of copper. There are many times the lake turns and you may be fishin 100 down over 500 fow and next day fishin 80 down over 200 fow.

Just my $.02....

Shade

In the summer many times less is more. There are days that I have 6 guys on board and I only run 5 lines -- 3 riggers, 2 dipsys. Most summer days I run 6 the added line being a copper. If I were you I would add a copper and go somewhere where there are not so many boats. If I can't run my 300' copper it is simply to crowded and I move to the edge of the pack. I think that you will be fine with 2 riggers, 2 dipsys and a copper. You can always stack one if you feel naked not haveing your limit of lines in!!

CC

Spike,

IMO, I think it's important to not only have the various depths of the water column covered, but it's also just as important to have different presentations, such as copper and lead core as each has a different signature in the water. Each day is a different adventure and what works one day doesn't always work the next.

- Chris

Capt. Spike,try stacking a pair of Dipsy (the smaller size with rings on3set.) Off the cables 30-40ft. out about 10ft. over the ball. You can drop right into temp. Run them on a rigger rod. Hey you can still run two coppers off the boards and two cores off inline boards and and and......... Good luck and have a good season. :):)

stack the riggers at 15 ft seperation on each rigger then stagger your rigger depth by 5ish feet then you got for example 60 ft,55ft,45 ft,and 40 ft coverd then the sliders will be in the steelie ,coho range.. deeper rod foward and shallower back , that way you can still run sliders if needed(shallow rods only) 2 dipsys and your set usually the stacked rods are slower bite but i feel it helps bring fish in your spread(school of lures)try to get all your spoons close to the same length back for a tighter school appearence..25 to 40 ft length ...IMPORTANT keepthe boat straight as your setting riggers past the dypsy lines or youll hook into them every time remind the driver everytime you set your better off waiting 3or 4 min for your spread (dypsys) to get into position rather than spend 30 min untangling lines....not to mention "killing" your spread...a good TEAM can get the dypsys(4) cleared with no problem but a few new guys can make a mess outa 4 dypsys and a good rigger hit clearing rods not to mention 30.00 a pop everytime you cut one dypsy into another..even if it dont cut through you can have a time consuming tangle and re tying dypsys due to freying or kinks....i like to keep it simple and fun ....trust me 30 min untangling ant no fun (so ive heard) and loosing your favorate spoon or setup is as painfull as loosing the 25 lb fish that took it....

OK so say I run copper down the chute and lead core off the side ( inside of the dipsy). If a dipsy rod goes do the lead and copper need to be cleared to prevent tangles? I sometimes get tangles landing the measly LLS we have here when they get into the trailing leadcore line. I have to believe the king would need that cleared as well. Also for the copper I would think that could definitely tangle as well.

Maybe less is better. Just run the extra copper down the chute, switch it to the oposite side of the boat if a wire rod goes off and try to keep the fish off the side that it hit on when landing. This should work as long as we don't get another hit while juggling lines around. then I could have a mess on my hands.

I have been there done that on the tangling thing. I think have a tangle free presentation down pretty good, however running extra dipsys or copper will be new to me.

Spike

Like Captain Carl said, don't go crazy with the maximum number of lines in the water. It becomes tedious to try to manage too much. By that I mean, if the fish are actively feeding and you are into them, six lines is plenty, especially with a double and triple hookup. On the other hand if you got six lines in the water and some cheated, you got most of all the exposure to the fish covered with bait choices and presentations. If there are all six lines in and no fish are jumping on your setups then it's likely the bite is slow, even if you have varied speed and direction. Two or three more lines in will not make a difference to the fishes mood. Less is more= fun+simple minus frustration due to tangles or just the "I can't believe they aren't hitting, I got everything in the water I can get". Believe me it's happened with ten lines and twelve baits. Then there's days when I get a double and a box full by myself ( two lines )

Mark

OK I just piled over a ton of threads on copper and multiple dipsys. The multiple dipseys sound great, just need to get by the learning curve of deploying, which I think I could do with what experience I have trolling (trolled the canyons on my buddies boat with 11 rods out many times, deploying is a factor). The copper sounds interesting but in some cases sounds like a chore reeling in all that line. We have groundfished over 350' and reeling in fish from that depth can be a workout, lol.

OK so now the dilema. Do I pick up two more dipsy set ups or just get a copper one. If I only had two guys in the boat I wouldn't know what to put out. The two riggers and two dipsys or two riggers and a dipsy and copper. I had great luck last year on the dipsy rods so taking one out of the equation seems like the wrong thing to do. Then again I read sometimes the copper will be 75% of the hook ups.........

Please keep in mind I get out there about 10 days a year only.

Maybe I'll go with the two extra dipsys and pick up a copper set up out there if I hear the bite is better on the copper while I'm there.

Decisions decisions.

Thanks for all your help everyone. Great information for the brain. I just hope I retain it, lol.

Spike

10 days -5days untangling leaves 5 days for fishing (pray for flat water)but hey as i say im justa plummer.........and vvvvvvvvvvv

I ran a six pack out of Newburyport Mass since 1991. Untangling lines is my specialty, lol.

Well last year I only had one fubar, which took less than ten minutes to straighten out. It happened when I let one dipsy out too fast. Lets just say they went out slowly from then on, lol. I'm looking at prices and the copper is $217, which I have a rod to put it on already. Another wireline set up is going to be around $100. I'm thinking getting both and worse case I run the copper down the shut with the standard 4 rods I already run or add a dipsey to the side with the whole deal. If it gets to be too much I can always have a back up dipsy or rig it a a thumper if the copper goes down, lol. I'm liking one of each then I can see what all the copper fuss is about and have options.

Any opinions on the best place to buy? A-tom-mic I'm assuming. I do like supporting the local guy also. Does he have a storefront yet? Wierd I was in Oswego last year and couldn't pick up anything local because he was online only.....

Spike

Spike:

Consider adding 2 church boards. You can run copper (up to 400 feet), lead core, or a pump handle from a church board. No boat mods necessary other than an available rod holder per side. This will get you into 6 rods easily without tangles (unless you do another Crazy Ivan like last year, then all bets are off). This provides the added benefit of widening your swath through the water. Ensure you buy a starboard and a port church if you go this route. You'll need to move the keel weight to the front with copper, core or pumps.