Seneca Trout Derby

I know it's early yet but I live for this tournament! Here's the deal. I'm running a "new to me" boat this year. On the old boat I only ran two riggers so there was no problem. This year I've got 4. So I'd like to run 8 rods. However, I only have one definite guy and one possible going. That leaves an empty spot on the boat to be able to run 8 rods. Anybody interested in running along? We usually head out of sampson. Already got one of the best campsites and will get the usual slip.

I really enjoy introducing people to this so if you know of anyone who is new to this let me know. We split any winnings among everyone on the boat and everyone gets a chance at the lines. We don't usually drink on the boat (too much drinking done at campsite). If you want to drink on the boat I'm ok with that.

Just an fyi the tournament is a week later than usual due to the month ending on monday. Starts on May 29.

im in the same boat! looking for a fishing partner for the tourny! had a few guys come last year! they liked it. need soneone with some experience..i felt like a charter captain! i did everything.. :P . if i didnt have my own boat, i would be in trolling82

I hear ya. I like to have someone that knows enough about what they're doing to help out. My first year ever I had an older guy at work who claimed he knew everything. Anyway, caught 3 fish that weekend and spent most of the time untangling his seth green rigs. needless to say I'm all about the riggers! He spent more time complaining about how the boat was too loud and everything else. His last time on the boat. My buddy scott started at the same time with me so we are around the same point in the learning curve. Plus we both have the outlook - "If it works use it!".

Besides lakebound, I want to be able to pass you on the lake while holding up a lunker! :rofl::beer:

Dave, we'll have to get together sometime for a beer and see if we all can get along! :)

I don't run copper... yet. Bring them along if you'd like. I'm always up for learning a thing or two! Plus from what I've heard on here, if the riggers aren't working, time to throw in the copper :yes:

Just wondering... If you have the boat and gear why aren't you taking it for the tourney?

Same problem as you, can't find guy's that want to troll all weekend,but i do fish all the tourney's in Cayuga. Plus it would be nice to fish with someone else, so i wouldn't have to do all the work, like usual. I start fishing in late March , maybe we can get together than .

early spring run two riggers and slide divers, my daughter and i put 42 fish in the boat on the second day of the turny last year,90% of those fish came on the divers!! missed 5 th. place by .02 of a pound. this weekend (memorial day) has become a father daughter retreat for us. if it wasn't i jump on your boat in a heart beat. if you slide to the south give a shout --blue bubble on ch. 68. can't wait untill the turny's start!! GOD bless rollie

ff, what marina/launch are you out of? ill keep an eye out.. im on 68 as well, keoke or keoke kid..go by both.

T82, i hear a gamble!! just messin with ya, i wish luck to everyone. my good friend likes to troll but for the tournaments he fishes with a guy name jon, they "feel the bite" with the bellies and bass minnows...they seem to place or come close every year..

so mem day weekend falls at a weird time this year? this shall be intersting with work.

I will be on channel 68 as well renting a slip out of Sampson. Handle: Tripleduece I got alot of prefishing to do with this new to me trophy. I sure can't wait till the winter weather breaks so I can get the boat out there and start getting used to it. Going to camp at Sampson as well if any one wants to stop over for a :beer: Going to be a long winter we are already talking about the derby. I can't wait I love fishin in it!!

TD

Hi!!

I would be interested in going out with someone. I am an experienced fisherman, but I am re-learning Seneca after being away for many years. I spend a lot of time on Seneca, and would love to learn from someone who has experience on the lake. I have lots of equipment too.. I don't drink on the boat at all. I would love to meet some of the guys I have read about on here!

Let me know, I'm game and can help with expenses as well..

Ed

Split, I have fished the red Cross before not sure if I will this year. Last year I fished the Canandaigua derby, some reason I like that lake, maybe because the 8 pound Rainbow in my avatar came from there :) I usually limit myself to a couple derbies a year. Seems like every time I fish one it costs me like 300-400 dollars some how? Oh and the boss (wife) likes it that way. I do try to make as many day trips out as I can. Last couple of years I have been dragging the vessel to work on Fridays. Than leaving from work and going right to the lake. I would be out there darn near every weekend if my manager (wife) and my check book would allow it!!

TD

TD i feel the 3 or 4 hund. pain plus the expense and time of getting the boat sea worthy, Its sorta the hidden cost of owning "The Boat" My team always "kicks in for all the imeadeate cost of a derby but the Riggers,poles,finder,temp probe,kicker,and all the little items (cheetos) included kinda add up........thank goodness I can do 99.9% of the work myself on the mechanical side with the helpfull advice when needed from "curly" Hank L&M..And when it gets to the specialty items Internal seals and fine engine tweaking with a trained ear and tools , I trust my boat in his care ,And a fair price (great price) at that .. He is a dying breed of the good ole days of good service at a fair price.

So one way we have found to reduce the cost is to trailer every morning ,shure its not the fun of the good ole days at rainbow hotel or camping at sampson with the gang but very doable from 30 miles away (launch at severn) and get there early.. With that said It is with pride even with my tin can that i can provide a fishing platform for "our team" to fish from.

She ant fast or too pretty and needs some extra (T L C) every year,But thats "MY" part of being in a team ,I could save every penny i have earned and sat home with a perfect lawn,garden ,and house but at the end of the day I would be miserable Ever sence I had "A TASTE OF DERBY FISHING"... i HAVE MEET SOME OF THE nicest , groups of guys and girls who share the passion and love of the "sea" and fishing it. When im old (even older than musky) I will be able to sit back and say RAY you lived a full life and did the things that were your hearts desire and loved every minute (well almost,, I did encounter a "shart "attack la few times ) That is a feat or life that some with big bankrolls will never reflect upon ...So give up 1.00 a day for the year and enjoy the derby without weighing in the cost,yes its there but your having a great time for the money,,,Doing something you love,,That is why you will find ""The PEGASUS"" limping along in derbys with a crew full of smiles,storyes of great,and some bad times, And if we had a good catch you might even see us on the podieum with bigger smiles (and fresh undies),,,,,,,,,,did i mention there are 4 pro/am derbys on lake ontario :lol: Hope to see you up there this year........

Like I tell the wife im not spending money on the boat im investing it :lol: Trolling82 I will probably have to run some trips in the morning on the 28th 29th and 30th, but get your crew together from this forum and I will pick you guys up in the afternoon at your slip and we will hit it in my boat for awile. I owe you some trips for your work on my barn. I have not got to fish the derby for my self in years, we need to fill that Rainbow division up :yes: . Sean

Sean,

You talking about during the derby? I'm sure we'd be up for it. Better wear my sunday's finest though! Can't be looking scruffy on that nice shiny boat of yours! :rofl:

Wonder if I can convince the better half to let me get one like that! Probably not. Have 3 boats out back right now that she's ready to sink me in!!! :D

PS. My trick is to order stuff that will be delivered when she's at work or hide it up to the pole barn. I'll live a lot longer if she doesn't know about it!!!!

My buddies and i will be there again this year. Always a lot of fun wether the fish coperate or not. We launch out of watkins or serverne being its only 15 or 20 minute drive. Good luck to everyone. Hey Ray how bout that cold weather trip. Shoot me a pm when you want to go. I still have lots to learn.

Ray, I hear yah.....It is all worth it to me!! Luckily I am in the same boat as far as doing all my own repairs and things of that nature. I can thank the ole man for that he passed a unmeasurable amount of knowledge to me when it comes to that. Thanks dad. I can't imagine having to pay for services. PRICEY! As far as the Pro Ams.... Ray can you fill me in on these I would love to ask you some questions about fishin in them. Can you fish in them like a one day event? I have never really looked in to them until going to this larger boat. Oh and I would be up for a Cold weather trip as well. ;)

TD