In the market for four stroke Yamaha kicker - need advice

lavarock64

Hey Fellas-

I'm pricing out four stroke kickers and could use some advise.

The motor will be going on a 18' Alumacraft. I would prefer to stick with a Yamaha as that is what the main motor is.

I found a local dealer that has the following:

F 6 MLH

F 8 MLH

T 8 DELH (high thrust)

T 9.9 GELH (high thrust)

T 8 PLR

Researching on LOU, many have had good luck with the T8. It's $400 more than the F6, is it worth it?

Can I put a high thrust prop. on the F motors or is the gearing different?

Thanks, Lavarock

Just for starters I would think the weight factor would be the 1st thing to consider on an 18 foot aluminum. You got to look at what you already have on there for main power and how the boat will ride with the additional weight of the kicker plus a couple guys standing back there playing and netting fish. I know guys that push 21+ ft glass boats with the yami 8's. Next thing that I would look at is the charging capability of the kicker. What do you need to keep the batterys (battery) going.

That will help you make a decision on your kicker selection. If you can get away with the 8 over the 6 then thats what I would go with as I've never heard of anybody complain about being overpowered when the wind kicks up and wants to blow the boat all over the lake.

I know quite a few guys running the Yamis and there a good motor. I run a Honda and I am happy with it as well but it's nice to have a matched set on the back of the boat.

Can't help you with the prop question.

Good luck with your decision.

Glen

I run a 10HP Honda on my 18' Crestliner. It has remote controls, power trim and a long shaft. The fuel line is Teed off my main engine line. The steering is with a solid Cabela's steel rod bent to fit and it is ok to raise and lower the small engine with the big engine running. I have had expensive problems using an EZ Steer rods that come apart in rough weather. It trolls down to 1 MPH to faster. You need both engines in the water for steering control. Twice I used the small engine to bring me home when I had problems with the main engine. The boat travels at 6.5 MPH at full throttle on the small engine.The four stroke engines does not blow oil fumes into the boat on a downwind troll, is very quiet and better on fuel consumption. I feel it is a good investment in my boat, especially since it is safer return home deal.

Thanks for the input guy.

Finally talked to the dealer today. He stated that the T models are geared different. So.......

He recomended a the T8 DELH model. This unit comes without the controls. Any recommendations on controls? Do I have to go with the Yamaha 703 remote? Are there better cheaper options?

Thanks, Lavarock

I run the T8 Yamaha on my 23' Seacraft (glass boat, 5500 lbs.)and love it.It pushes the boat at all salmon speeds with no problem.You won't be sorry going with the T8.

I have the electric start with power tilt model,and have it mounted on a fixed bracket.The Power tilt is great,just a push of a button,either at the motor or at the control box raises the engine up out of the water when under power with the outdrive.

I also have it connected to the out drive by an EZ-Steer rod and it works very good.

You could go with the Yamaha remote control box,or go with a remote throttle control unit like Troll Master or Control King.I have mine hooked up to the Yamaha remote box,and it works pretty well but I think I'm going to disconnect the throttle cable from it and go with a Troll Master for the throttle,as it's easier to fine tune the troll speed.

In my experience With the Yamaha control,I find it's sometimes tricky to get that sweet spot for the perfect troll speed.I will leave the elec start,shift cable,and the trim switch hooked up though,because it's nice to be able to control all those features from the helm.

The high thrust Yamaha's are awesome motors,they run like a watch,are extremely quiet,and sip fuel.I ran the T9.9 on my previous boat,and it never missed a beat,even after 12 years of use.

I just went thru all this myself. What I decided to do was to get the T8 w/ tiller (I really think you want the T8 b/c it's got the power trim. I couldn't rationalize the expense of the remote controls + installation, I am planning on installing the TrollMaster I throttle control. I am planning to hook the T8 to my main outboard on my Alumacraft w/ the Panther connector. This motor is also going on my Islander, planning on using the EZee steer to link the outdrive to the T8.

I would go with the T-8 awesome kicker, it comes with a high thrust 3 blade, lower gears and it's made for a kicker, since your transom has an open layout it's not big deal to hit the start button from the back of the boat and you'll get better throttle control from the tiller handle over a remote box, if you have the funds I would hook to a trollmaster for precise speed control to mount at the dash/wheel if that's where you sit while fishing. I have a Ranger walleye boat with 250 main power with a 9.9 pro kicker, hooked with a steering rod and trollmaster, kicker is a tiller and I couldn't be happier with the entire set up. You'll love the trim and tilt on it.

Go with the T8 tiller, it's a great little motor. Quiet too. I put one on my Alumacraft Trophy 180 next to my 115 Yammy it works great. Hooked up the steering to the big motor with a connector rod and plan to get a Trollmaster or Controllking throttle control this spring.

I guess I'll be the vote of decent here. We put an F8MLH Yamaha on our 18' Welcraft C/C last year. The only reason we did was it was $100 more for the 8 over the 6. Honestly we could have gone with the 6 and still been fine. We have yet to run the motor "flat out" except for when we first took it out, just to see how it ran. Most trolling was done at less then half throtle. Honestly, was the marginal cost worth it? For us, no. We should have just went with the 6 and saved the money. My honest opinion is that since you're boat is aluminum, and has less displacement then ours, a 6hp would push it just fine. Personaly I think the only reason the dealer is trying to sell you the "T" model is because it costs more.

I have a T8 on my Lund Mr Pike 17 and it's fantastic. I don't troll salmon with it (set up for backtrolling, tiller, etc...), but I think that being on Lake Ontario would give you even more reason to go with the bigger motor. I've been out in a thunderstorm and had to come in on the kicker and it's nice to have capable backup. The guys who have it set up with a Trollmaster don't seem to complain.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the input.

I ended up buying a F8 with the tiller handle. It was a demo and I could not pass up the price($1,500). I'll give it a go and see how the year pans out.

The same dealer has some other smokin' deals on other T and F motors. PM if you need details.