Fat Nancy's shootout - Unfair Judgement-Need Clarification!!

I posted this in the other thread, but I feel this needs to be addressed by the masses so I have posted a new topic for discussion. I need a clarification. I fished the challange today with my team and I made it to the weigh-in tent at 2:59 and told the woman with the clipboard that I had a cooler to weigh in, as my teamates drove the truck around to that side of the tent to unload the fish. I was told it was past 3:00 and that I was too late (even though my cell phone had just turned to 3:00pm while I was standing infront of her-she confirmed later that I was there before 3:00 when I expressed my disappointment) and my buddy hopped out of his truck and joined me at 3:01. Not to mention I was under the tent trying to distinguish where the weigh-in line was well prior to the 3:00pm deadline. We were told that since the COOLER was not under the tent at 3:00, we could not weigh in. The rules state: "*You must be in line by 3:00 p.m., absolutely no later ". The rules do not state that the COOLER has to be in line or "under the tent" as we were told. We wouldn't have taken first place, but are pretty sure we would have had about 50 lbs, good for 4th. 8)

I have a mix of feelings right now towards this tourney, and I appreciate the other teams who came over to say that they should have let us weigh in. I feel we were jipped out of $600 give or take. The rules need to be adjusted and clarified: if the cooler is what needs to be in line the rules need to reflect that (apparently me in line and the cooler just outside the tent on the tailgate of our truck isn't considered in line for weigh-in - we had over 80 lbs of fish in it :o and were only going to bring over our top 3!!). Also, might I suggest an official clock be displayed at weigh-in if you are going to be so strict on the time that you won't allow someone within a minute of the deadline to weigh-in. I have fished the Fair Haven Challenge for several years now (as well as other tournaments with time deadlines) and they have all been lienient on the time if someone came in that close to the cut-off.

I play fair and by no means want to be "that guy" trying to sneak in between the lines and complain. But I feel we played fair and were not dealt with fairly. My team is not happy and I am very disappointed that we were not allowed to weigh in... :no:

I don't fish this but it reads like you may have also missed this rule.....how long did you look for the "line" to weight in ???

*3 heaviest fish, total weight only, no more than 3 fish per cooler allowed at weigh-in

Yeah, I know it's only the top 3 - I mention we had over 80 lbs because that is why we didn't carry the cooler across the parking lot and through the tent, and thus why my teamate was driving it around the tent to the side closest to the weigh-in. Just in case they wanted us to bring over the cooler. We would have had about 51 lbs/pts for our 3 biggest fish (25 lb king, 14 lb laker, and 12 lb king). I was asking other teams if they were in the weigh-in line maybe a minute or two prior to reaching the woman in charge... But definitely before 3pm!!

Tim, its like which policeman happens to pull you over and whether they issue a citation or not. Some do all the time so me do not. I am also not totally clear with the rules but it sounds like you unfortunately walked into a situation where that derby attendant was splitting hairs that day. :no:

If you announced your catch in line before 3pm it should have been weighed in..not cool

Chris

Yes I did. I said, "According to Verizon, it just turned 3:00 pm" as I showed it to her. She simply said, "Sorry, weigh-in is closed. You're too late." She was talking to someone on the phone this whole time I was there trying to reason with her, and then she asked whoever she was talking to if she should allow a weigh-in, and then stated, "They say it's too late, sorry". I don't know exactly who "they" were, but "they" didn't know I was standing there in front of her prior to 3:00. Very frustrating.... :@

Hind sight (and after discussing the situation with Coup), we probably should have asked to file a formal complaint with the Challenge Director (if there is one) and should have weighed our fish to get official record of our weight at least written down. We were so floored, weren't thinking.... :$

Probably seems unfair, but the tournament clock may have read 3:00...just playing devils advocate here. The world doesn't unfortunately revolve around the time on your personal cell phone. It's a judgement call really, but you probably should have been there 5 minutes early just to be sure. Next guy could have shown up 5 minutes later and pointed to his watch and claimed to be on time also....I've seen it hundreds of times at running events and such where athlete's disagree with the official time stating that their wristwatch proves they ran the course faster than their posted time... To be fair the tournament should have had an "official" clock they went by to determine the cut-off...

Finders Keepers:

First off I understand your frustration and I am very sorry about this situation

Please understand the girl was talking to me while the seconds were ticking and not chit chatting about anything other than this very time in question, she was looking for confirmation and it was my call at the official time taken by the Owner of Fat Nancy's cell phone

Again, your loss is not taken lightly and I do not wish to come across in a harsh sort of way:

However to be in line with cooler and only 3 fish in it should be sort of taken for granted from rules stated. I had to DQ a team the season before last after less than 1 minute late, the team was quite upset as well, and again it is understood to be upset.

Please keep this in mind:

When:

-Lugging heavy coolers of fish around

-Chasing a clock

-Finding parking areas

-Looking for where to go with your cooler and the line

All the above needs to be done by each and every team in these events, we all have to follow the same rules and we all have to find the line, if one of us has any hold-ups in any of these areas, the stage is set equal as possible for all

I am sure my explanation may not sit well for you and again I apologize for "the girl" who said you were late, she was only following what she was told, and this was coming from this events coordination.

For future reference if you ever want to call the owner of Fat Nancy's in future events for calibration of times from one clock to another please look them up and they will be happy to set the time from the network used. I am sure the owner of Fat Nancy's sincerely hopes you will choose to fish in his event in the future.

Tom

I was typing this as Tom was giving you the answer......

Sorry Tim, but how long is reasonable for a guy to be in line without the cooler? Do you see what kind of problems can arise,

You call me to tell me you have a good box "go stand in line b/4 3pm I'll be right there" but it take you 10-15 minutes to get there..........where's the cut off?

It sucks but what if the guy that was 2 minutes behind you beat you out of the money and you were there with the box at 2:59.

Next time get there with time to spare.......no discussion

I feel for you man, but the rules need to be there

Tom,

Hats off to you for making a decision as I am sure they are not made carelessly and then letting us know it was you. Someone has to make them. I would rather see strict than a free for all.

Could you please make it clear in the rules that standing in line is changed to standing in line with your cooler. I was not fishing with them today but will be in the future and we are a learning team for sure. The more detail and clarification that can be put in the rules helps new teams from having hard feelings in instances such as this and turning their backs to these types of events.

See ya at the Sodus Pro am.

Coup

tough situation,,, but I commend A-TOM-MIK for taking responsibility for his decision. At least you (finders keepers) wouldn't have come in 1st place and got DQ'ed, which I've heard of happening in many tourny's for many differant reasons. Again, a very difficult situation handled like a gentleman by A-TOM-MIK. Live and learn and congrats on a great day fishing regardless,,, at least you moved up on the LOC board.

It's an unfortunate situation, but the reality is that once the clock hits 3pm it's all over. I think that the rule about being "in line before 3pm" is rightly construed as "in line by 3pm--with your fish"...otherwise, one guy could race over and get in line while his teammates take care of the boat, the fish and whatever else needs to be done.

Not saying that there was any intention to break the rules, but I'd personally be ticked off if someone bumped me out of the money in a situation like yours. Particularly if I'd quit half and hour earlier on a hot bite to get to the weigh in with time to spare.

I guess this proves that time IS money. Keep chasing the big ones!

Gator

Thank you for the clarification Tom (I'm glad to hear it was you on the phone 8) ), and I appolagize for having made you make a difficult decision. We will make more time next time, in fact we had made more time yesterday, but the wind came up on us just ahead of those storms and what we thought was going to be a smooth run in became a much slower go through 2-4'ers. Live and learn. I do think a slight adjustment in the rules would be beneficial to all, and situations like this could be avoided all together. See everyone at the Sodus Pro-Am! 8)

Okay I think my Blood Pressure has come down after yesterdays ordeal under the tent in Oswego. I appreciate Tim posting the discrepancy on this matter for my team "MUD CHICKEN". I unfortunately wish it ended slightly differently of course... I do think that next time this Challenge gets posted that being in line with the cooler NEEDS to be on there.. If that had been on there you can guarantee that I would have been running through the tent with at least 2 out of 3 of our fish slime running down my leg... Unfortunately our cooler weighed roughly 100lbs between fish and water..... That is what slowed us getting it under the tent..... Tom I appreciate your post on this matter and I understand where your coming from but any gray areas are subject to arguement.. Now my Teams main goal yesterday was to see how we as a Team could hold up with the Best on the Lake... Now we know we can hang with the best and yesterdays ordeal will just fuel the fire for us to perform better than yesterday and hopefully put some serious fish in the boat for next weekend in Sodus... Tim and I will be fishing next weekend with Coup under the name Hide and Seek so we will see everybody in the Point......... Dale

P.S. We will make sure that we are back to the tent with our cooler in plenty of time next time.........Maybe even some cold :beer: in there also ;) ......HAHAHAHA