Commercial Trawlers At the Oak...no B/S!!!!!

r2wTS.jpg

r2zo0.jpg

r2BT9.jpg

r2Eni.jpg

r2GSr.jpg

These pics are from my cell phone, zoomed up 3X. not very clear, but what I saw was clear enough.

I was out today straight in front of port at the Oak, when out in about 350fow a big boat appears and looks like a tug. Upon closer examination it has davit arms and outriggers. Then I see the boat maneuvering in circles and what do I see but a trawl net being hoisted aboard. I wonder what it was doing there. I figure since commercial fishing for trout and salmon is illegal, then it might be a research vessel. BUT not, it is a bottom scouring trawl for smelt.

I wasn't aware that this was something going on in US waters. Either this one was lost or I guess it's ok somehow to ruin the fishing in our lake.

Here's what was happening today. Set up in 220 fow and had a steady pick of the fish until 10:00 AM. East troll from about straight out from port to in front of the glass house. Came back to in front of the port again near the 220FOW and here is this trawler doing it's thing. There were two other boats, a charter and a smaller vessel than mine and this trawler was moving in a rather obvious course to try to intimidate this small boat. Notice my photo where the two are in close proximity of each other. This is not necessary when there is so much water out there and why is it there in the first place. Any way, the fish in the area where we were doing so well was void of marks on the screen after this thing came in, and the next two hours were fishless as well.

I know there is a huge market for smelt in Japan but are we suppose to sit back and let this happen to our fishery? I would have gone in behind this trawler and checked for by catch of any kind just to see if was floating around out there.....if I thought it was safe.

These deep water nets are scouring the bottom of the lake. What is that doing to the ecology of the lake and what are those heavy skegs stirring up down there dragging and plowing furrows in the lake bottom. Any body else ever see this on the south shore? Do we want this? I for one think that the fishing this day turned off and dried up on the screen because of this trawler dragging a net around. Wonder how many trout and salmon are being wasted as bycatch.

Mark

Definitely looks like the Kaho and it wasn't in Oswego this weekend wich I think is its home port. I hope they start doing night trawls so they can get a better reading on the bait population of the lake before its too late.

Haven't you guys seen "Whale Wars"? They just write RESEARCH on the side of the ships to make you think they're taking samples instead of packaging fish for Japan! Someone get out the prop foulers and let's go!!! (yes this is sarcastic)

Nick

Dear Skipper19,

I believe you saw the U. S.Research Vessel KAHO (high profile black hull). It flies a NOAA Flag. AND IS A CERTIFIED USA FISHING VESSEL. When he has the R.I.M. markers up, he has the right of way over ALL vessels including saiboats. Get closer next time and use your binoculars to see the name on the BOW and stern. If you see net buoys up, usually two about 300 yards apart...DO NOT go between them....He has set a gill net. He is a friend of fishermen!!! All samples are very carefully examined and recorded. They are doing important work! You should stop and see these people whenever they are in a port. They know where the fish are!!! and the bait!! I have always had good sucess when they are around!! I have seen them everywhere in Lake Ontario (U.S, side) and on the Canadian side also. It's good that you are observing other vessels. And identifying them is important. When you see one of the visiting WARSHIPS, you will be very impressed. Got to see an Italian light missile cruiser on it's hydrofoils off Toronto Harbor....complete with a minisub tucked into it's fantail!

Respectfully submitted,

Jet Boat Bill

Definitely the Kaho. It conducts alewife & smelt netting transects at many places including Olcott, 30 mile, Oak, Hamlin, Rochester & a bunch of places East during May & June. They start around 140 FOW & go out to 500FOW or so.

In mid July through August they take a shot at the laker population to get a handle on how restoration is coming along, same places plus a few randomly chosen ones. Gill nets plus a few trawls.

The commercial guys (& there were only 3 in 2009) work out of the East end & target perch.

Ocassionally, you'll see the newer SETH GREEN which sometimes assists the Kaho. Also sometimes you'll see the Federal LAKE GUARDIAN out there taking water samples.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Remember that when you fight against commercial fishing that 3 trillion dollars annually goes overseas to feed USA's population with seafood. That money could sure help the 44,000 unemployed workers in Erie County alone.

That's what did it to me.....whale wars.....for a while I was lost in fantasy land, boy do I feel stupit. That's the last time I believe in that show :wondering: ......but now I feel much smarter with a little help from my friends here on LOU....again....Thanks for the set straight. I :inlove: the KAHO :yes:

Mark