shaky seneca shakedown 3/15

Started off w/ what must have been fuel problems, get past that then I get my first fish of the season, a decent LL, into the net and lay the net in the motor well so I can grab the wheel and straighten out the boat but when I turn around the fish has released itself, oh well! 2cd fish breaks the rod tip (recently repaired this rod tip guide & must have stressed the glass), then the line gets fowled in the tip & the tip gets fowled around the rod so when the fish makes one last dive - SNAP goes the fluoro!

Did finally get my act together somewhat by the end. Got a decent brown in tight and some 3-4lb LLs from just after the Tiki bar to the point past the plant. Got them on 4 & 6 colors on small Yozuri sticks. Got 1 larger Salmon & 2 decent lakers out in 100-130', down 80'+ on ff combos, blue & silver worked best for me.Kind of a rough solo shakedown but at least I'm back in the action ...

Forgot to mention that I launched in the canal. It's doable-not great but ok. Do watch out for debris in the flow way out past the bridge, there is some pretty good sized stuff floating around well out into the lake & most of it is very hard to see!

This winter within an hour I lost a couple good stick baits, one with a fish hooked to it (found out later a ceramic rod guide missing) and wore out a Penn (worm gear) when fishing leadcore (in 15 degree weather) on another trip. :(

Glad you got out, got fish and thanks for the report. :yes:

Its just starting......

Andy, We put 7 Lakers, 3 LL, & 1 brown in the box. The bite for us was the best about 8:30 which surprised us because at daylight it has been hot all winter. Looks like the LLs are starting to disperse and more lakers are at the south end. Plan to keep on Seneca for a bit then on to Cayuga. We took one off the top and the rest came from 70 to 90'.

Thanks for the post...Typical first time out...Last spring I was fishing north of Dean's Cove ALONE and had a fish on one rod and the other one tripped....the NW wind caught the bow and spun me .....I ran into the cabin to grab the wheel and forgot the roof on the old Trophy...banged my head.. ( almost killed myself)......ended up with two lost fish... four lures....( cheaters on both ) gone ...guess the prop cut the lines...At least I had both balls out of the water...Sounds like you had a GREAT day..At least you are fishin... 8):yes:

Now I have to get the Islander out of hibernation so I've got shakedown no. 2 coming up asap. At least she has an AP so hopefully I won't be doing circles while I'm going thru the rest of the seasonal happiness! -Andy

Just bought a 2052 Trophy and am itching to get her in the water in Seneca or Cayuga. Been fishing in a smaller alluminum boat for years and never had to worry alot about the gel coat. Any tips on launching by myself. Been looking at all kinds of different gagets to launch solo but I cant imagine everyone spends big bucks just to make launching by yourself easier. Any tips????? Chowder you said you launched in the canal...is that the spot at the south end?

Just bought a 2052 Trophy and am itching to get her in the water in Seneca or Cayuga. Been fishing in a smaller alluminum boat for years and never had to worry alot about the gel coat. Any tips on launching by myself. Been looking at all kinds of different gagets to launch solo but I cant imagine everyone spends big bucks just to make launching by yourself easier. Any tips????? Chowder you said you launched in the canal...is that the spot at the south end?

I launched at Clute Park on the south side of the bridge( east shore of the canal). As far as launching solo I launch my Starcraft Islander alone all the time (about the size of your boat, but aluminum). I have a good bow line which I secure to my bow cleat and I just coil up the line in the back of my pickup and tie w/a simple pull free knot to one of my truck tie downs. lugs. When the boat floats gently free of the trailer I just pull ahead, get out and & get in the truck bed & pull the rope free and secure the boat to the wharf.

I launch my Trophy by myself. It is the same size as yours. It is easy but make sure you slowly back in the water and let it slowly float off the trailer. I tried to go too fast once and it ended badly :)

As you back it in, tie it to the dock set out your bumpers, and just go slow. No big deal.

Mine actually loads back on the trailer easier than my old 18' did.

Hey Hannah Marie...Chowder is right about launching alone....I launch my Trophy 2459 Hard Top alone most of the time..High crosswind makes it a little tough especially if blowing away from the dock...I always check the wind before backing in to launch...Same with loading...Took a lot of practice before I figured out how to ease my boat to the dock....The Hard Top makes it tough....Almost impossible to dock and load when the wind is blowing crossways away from the dock...My roll trailer makes it easy..We are installing an electric winch this spring...I'm getting too darned old to crank it all the way on...especially on a steep launch pad. Good luck :yes:8)

Thanks Chowder. I have launch from Clute before dont remember the docking set up but if your launching there with the same size boat i shouldn't have a problem. I appreciate the tips on launching....launched and loaded alot of boats just not one this size solo. I basically do the same thing with my Duck boat when the water drops in Cayuga and i have to back half way in the lake to get it to float. Thanks again for the reply....may see you next weekend...plan on fishing next weekend.

HM, that is a good well taken care of boat you bought. The 2052 handles awesome in rough water. Launching alone and loading is easier with bumpers on the fender wells to keep her straight. We made some out of 2 by 6's wrapped in indoor outdoor carpet and stainless angle brackets and has worked well.

Hey HM,if you haven't all ready thought about it and you have a roller trailer don't unhook the bow on the ramp,it might roll off before its in the water, thats bad for the gelcoat. :o .

WWTV....trailer is rollers down the middle with a bunk on either side towards the Stern....talking with the owner it wont take off until the back end is floating.....thanks for the heads up....dropping the stern on the ramp would probably damage the gel coat just a little.

You guys are killing me. The boy and I are not going to be able to get out for a few more weeks. I sure am looking forward to a nice laker on the grill. Great job chowder. Hope to meet you some day. I think I have property in your neck of the woods. Hanna Marie I am sending you a P.M. Wes