Leader for spring browns

jbaz

i run 12#big game for my main line and 8#floro leader 10ft long if you already have the power pro on you might want to use a small swivel one that will fit through the eyes on your rod and the reel and then use a 25ft floro leader 8to10#

Power pro will be OK if you attach a longer flourocarbon leader to it using a small barrel swivel. I use that set-up with a coastlok snap to attach the lure. Power Pro is slippery line, so I use a rubber band to attach to the planer line release.

What Gambler said....Seaguar not Vanish. I am amazed that they sell any of that stuff.....

Put a small swivel and enough leader so it just clears the tip. That way you can attach the lure to your reel frame and tighten the line up for storage.

I run power pro on most of my rods year round and I just tie a blood knot between the braid and the flourocarbon. I have never had a problem and I would much rather have a knot go over my guides than a metal swivel. The only thing that is important to remember to leave the tag ends a little but longer than normal on the blood knot. The braid to flourocarbon knot will slip a tiny bit at first and if you trim the knot super close it will fail.

I've been using the regular Seaguar InvizX main line (8lb) for my leaders. It's cheaper than the 'leader' spools and seems to be excellent. Last year I tried to compare it to the Drennan FC leader material I've used in the river and I can't see that there was much difference but I wasn't able to get out a lot last April either. As others have said DO NOT USE VANISH or your fish will too ( that stuff should be banned from the shelves) -Andy

P.S maybe it's overkill but my flat line reels are spooled with Maxima Ultra Green.

You don't need expensive flurocarbon leader material if you are fishing stained water.

True but it helps. I run with fluoro. to cover all water clarity's you're going to encounter fishing spring browns.

You don't need expensive flurocarbon leader material if you are fishing stained water.

True but it helps. I run with fluoro. to cover all water clarity's you're going to encounter fishing spring browns.

I really think what Hank said is a good idea to keep in mind + I use my flat line, light action rods for waldos & bows & other stuff. I would suggest you try and think about having a few combos that are more or less permanently set up for this kind of action. A couple pairs of Daiwa 27 LC reels and Eagle claw ML or L rods spooled w/ light line/leader will find lots of things to catch if you use your imagination. -Andy