Spark plug brand

J.D.

I've been running NGK plugs in my 1996 90 hp. Merc. 2 stroke since it was new... and as 2 strokes will do, foul a plug while trolling once in a while. Champion has a plug for this outboard, and was wondering if one brand plug may be a bit better than the other at lower/idle speeds?.. Wondering if I should try a set of Champion's....

NGK BUHW-2 vs. Champion L78V

Thanks,

Jim S.

I've had the opposite experience. I have found that Champions seem to perform much better

in all small engine applications. You may want to close up the gap a bit if you troll a lot.

The shorter spark will help it from loading up as quick. Just don't run her w/o for any extended period of time.

JMO

I run Champions in my 94 2 stroke 20 hp evinrude and it runs great with the Champions. Lots of trolling hours.

I run NGKS in my 200 Yamaha and get two seasons out of them without issues but only 30 minutes a day at trolling speed exiting and entering the river to the dock.

If you are not satisfied with the NGK's in that motor, try a set of Champions.

Not an expensive experiment and it might work out for you.

If it don't not much is lost.

Good luck

Glen

Dear JD,

More important then spark plug maker is the oil type and BRAND for trolling with 2 cycles. The Yamaha oil & Mercruiser oil is the cleanest burning in my experience. And gives the longest spark plug life! ...before fouling! Try different brands of oil until you find the one that burns the cleanest. (Visually examine the plugs for deposits also).

Respectfully submitted, ....Ex-Jet Boat Bill