Leadcore poundage

What are you guys using for leadcore, And what pound test on cayuga. Iv'e got the rods and reels but their set up like the old way, Straight down for lakers with the snap on mono leaders, any info would be helpful. Thanks

I use 18 lbs lead core. Holds up great.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

i use 27 pound cause thats what alot of the local bait shops carry and plus if you want to go to ontario you can still use it without a prob.

:yes: 27 lb holds up longer, I have used it all. If you go to the big lake and a 25 lb king takes your church board under for a 300 ft run you will be glad you have the 27lb.

27# leadcore and 18# leadcore have the same amount of lead per foot. the sink rate is the same.

Interesting...so what determines the difference?...thickness of cloth wrap? I always thought heavier pundage sank faster too.

i use 27 pound cause thats what alot of the local bait shops carry and plus if you want to go to ontario you can still use it without a prob.

:yes: 27 lb holds up longer, I have used it all. If you go to the big lake and a 25 lb king takes your church board under for a 300 ft run you will be glad you have the 27lb.

I have had the same 27lbs on a okuma 45 reel for 3 seasons now also prefer it .mmmm I am not certain 18 sinks better? The LL's on Cayuga seem to take my spoons best at 8colors of 27lbs out at about 2.2-2.5 speed. What depth would that be? 42-46?

Never really sure how deep I am getting but in mid summer I'm sure this range is at the top of a LL's cruising range.

Agreed with Sean. However, those big land locks are deeper!!!!;)

Thanks guys,

I'll go to 10 or even 11!!,tied in 3 etxra colors last year!! reel is kinda full but operates ok..like to find em a little bigger that 18-22inches my usual.

Do the LL's in Seneca run a little larger than Cayuga or about the same?. I'm not trying to ambush this post fish-on as long as we are talking about leadcore ;)

I have only fished cayuga maybe 5 times in my life... 3 of which were trolling. I know we do get very nice landlocks on seneca. However, some guys will say the 3 lbers are big when I have seen a few that are 11 myself. 2 years ago I saw a 13 lber come in at my marina. Caught drifting sawbellies in the middle of summer in the middle of the day....

The big ones are out there!!

27# leadcore and 18# leadcore have the same amount of lead per foot. the sink rate is the same.

According to the Cortland people, your 18 pound test will go deeper because, due to a tighter weave,the diameter is smaller.

I use 18 pound for my 6 color reels and 27 for the 8 and 10 color reels

I use 27 lb. lead core on Cayuga with about a 20 ft. 25 lb. fluorocarbon leader tied on with an albright knot....I buy my line at Cabelas in 200 yard spools....Gotta have a big reel to get it all on.....For Lake Ontario I use 45 lb. and a 40 lb. leader ....when fishing for kings....Not much give to my lead core rods....so the line takes all the strain 8)

I use 27 lb. on Cayuga and tie on about 20 feet of flourocarbon leader with an albright knot....I buy my lead core at Cabelas in 200 yard spools....Gotta have a big reel to get it all on...For kings in Ontario ...I use 45 lb.. lead core and a 40 lb. leader.....Not much give to my lead core rods so the line takes all the strain.. 8)