Autopilot Suggestions

I have a 2002 2052 trophy and would like to put an autopilot on it. Based on the little info I can find the best deal for the money is the Raymarine S-1000. I was almost ready to order it and in reading some reviews found out that they only operate at 3 knots or 3.45 mph and above. With my average trolling speed around 2.5 mph I'm going to have to look for another unit. Any suggestions that won't break the bank????

I really won't know for sure until I install it. Probably this weekend and then hopefully I can get out around here the following week. If you go to Raymarines web site and download the manual it says in there it works to 1 knot. Hopefully this is true. I know it relies on a good gps signal so that is a must. The best AP I ever had was the TR-1 Gladiator and Garmin took them over and I'm sure their pilot is as good. I just can't afford $2500 for an AP right now and I got the s1000 for $700 from someone who bought it but couldn't use it for their boat. Good luck!

I had a raymarine installed on my boat last year and absolutely love it. I did not make the make conversion for hydraulic steering and it still never skipped a beat.

Hal, I have the Raymarine Sportpilot on my boat for 4 years now it it's never skipped a beat. My Lund is much lighter than your rig but a buddy of mine has it on his 30' Yan and it handles it fine. Mark

Thanks Mark.....I was just chatting with Mower and he said that's what he has. Looks like I'm going to spend the extra cash and go with that. I went to the Raymarine web site and cant find the "Sportpilot" but the make one called a "Smartpilot that mounts over the wheel shaft. Is that the type unit you have?

Hal, I have the Raymarine Sportpilot on my boat for 4 years now it it's never skipped a beat. My Lund is much lighter than your rig but a buddy of mine has it on his 30' Yan and it handles it fine. Mark

I finally found the sport pilot....and if its the right one they show a picture of it but the web site says that its no longer available. Any suggestions as to who might still have one sitting around?

I finally found the sport pilot....and if its the right one they show a picture of it but the web site says that its no longer available. Any suggestions as to who might still have one sitting around?

New model # is: SPX-5R SPORT PILOT E12220

I can tell you and I think mower will agree, it will make you wonder how you ever got by without it. Its money well spent, good luck whatever you deceide to do. Wont be long know. By they way these AP wont steer around plywood so keep your eyes peeled, see u on the water.

Lil Jake is right on. There is nothing better then fishing with two people, boat trolling into the wind and the net man can leave the wheel and not worry about boat being sideways and lines crossing. My wife fishes with me most of the time and the only real problem we run into is not paying attention and squeezing a fellow troller into shallow water. This tends to happen just south of sheldrake. Sorry Hal I enjoy bustin chops.