RUFF RIDER Live Reports from Wilson 5/19-5/27

Hey Rich, I run 50lb from dipsey to spinny, the bite off was just above the treble, probably that 40lber

More times than not when you have a "bite off" just above the treble on a fly, it's not actually not a bite off at all. The line above the treble can get nicked easily by the pliers when removing the hook from a fishes mouth. Not sayin that is what happened....but it's the cause of most break offs like you had.

I tie my own fly leaders and I use a 1" piece of surgical tubing over the treble shank for that exact reason.

Keep the reports coming buddy....

So what does the tubing do? Keep the hook from rubbing the line?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Theresa gets so upset when we catch lakers, they poop all over her nice clean carpets!

LMAO, just let the dog roll in it for a bit, it will be all gone... :lol::lol::lol:

Hit a small steelie 170 dipsey and a small king that must have been hungry he swallowed the hook so deep it probably would have been easier to remove the hook through the anus! Free slider on 85' rigger.

Man I wish I was on that lake today....looks nice...sitting here in a warehouse parking lot in Atlanta...95 degrees :sweating::dull::headbang:

It would be perfect if it weren't for all the bugs!!

2012-05-20_12-06-37_170.jpg

They are bad. Stinkers squish all over the deck and love dark sunbrella. Hard to remove too if gooshed on for too long. Biting flies come later summer...the ones that like ankle meat. :devil:

Nick,

What are you running for leader on that Dipsey? I run no snubber on my dipseys, you can go up to 40-50 lbs of floro. I usually run 30, and have no problems, Knock on Wood. Go gettum!!! Wish I was out there with you guys.

Capt. Rich

Hey Rich, I run 50lb from dipsey to spinny, the bite off was just above the treble, probably that 40lber :)

Fill the gap at the rear of the treble with some scrap line , tie it to a hook and weave it inand out to fill the gap. Tie it off to the hook. No more "bite offs" :yes:

Nick,

What are you running for leader on that Dipsey? I run no snubber on my dipseys, you can go up to 40-50 lbs of floro. I usually run 30, and have no problems, Knock on Wood. Go gettum!!! Wish I was out there with you guys.

Capt. Rich

Hey Rich, I run 50lb from dipsey to spinny, the bite off was just above the treble, probably that 40lber :)

Fill the gap at the rear of the treble with some scrap line , tie it to a hook and weave it inand out to fill the gap. Tie it off to the hook. No more "bite offs" :yes:

Never thought of that, good idea!!

They are bad. Stinkers squish all over the deck and love dark sunbrella. Hard to remove too if gooshed on for too long. Biting flies come later summer...the ones that like ankle meat. :devil:

God I hate those flies. I mean really hate them.

So what does the tubing do? Keep the hook from rubbing the line?

What Rich said Nick....it protects that area on and just above the treble where we often grab with the pliers to free the hook.

Oh...it's ok to loose gear....just not when fish are attached ;) We all put a spoon on a free slider and toss it in without attaching it to the main line now and again....don't we ? That's the best way EVER to get rid of that spoon your buddy insists on continually washing that you HATE cause it never catches fish....oops...sorry dude, my bad :$:lol: