dipsey diver settings

running 30# wire i know the ratio on a 2.5-3 setting is 3 to1 for every 3 feet of line out it will dive 1 foot. but what about on a 1 setting? i have lost the chart and am gonna try running 2 divers per side in the am and need a refresher before i get my first tangle lol! some say its crazy but ive talk to alot of guys that do it and they say its really not that bad and to just watch the turns. After all it seems my wires take more fish than riggers( most days) so why not run more wires especially since i cant afford more riggers. why not? ill give it a try and hope for the best. any ideas on 1-1.5 setting ratio would be sweet or any advise on doubling up on my dipseys. thanks

You will not have a problem with dipsy settings at least 1.5 settings apart and at least 50 feet length apart. Long and wide on the outside forward rod.

I think with wire your 3 to 1 ratio is a little off and it is more like 2.5 to 1 and sometime it is even steeper on a low setting like 0 or .5 . When setting out the dipsy make sure the first one is settled before the second goes out on the same side. Keep your speed going steady, and if the water is relatively smooth less than 2 feet you should have no problems. Turns are ok just don't do a really tight one without turning up the speed a half mile an hour or so.

Keep the same size dipsy in your spread too.

Mark

PS...all this changes when a double on acrobatic steelies comes into play.....then you will run a high chance for FUBAR! :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I am looking at the chart right now.

The ratio is about 2.7 on average using a 3 setting.

The slope of the rest of the lines is almost the same for 0, 1 and 2 settings - you just gain around 5 feet for each setting you are away from 3. So 2 gets you 5 feet lower, 1 gets you 10 feet lower and 0 gets you 15 feet lower.

So use the line out divided by 2.7 formula and then add 0, 5, 10 or 15 ft depending on your setting.

I am looking at the chart right now.

The ratio is about 2.7 on average using a 3 setting.

The slope of the rest of the lines is almost the same for 0, 1 and 2 settings - you just gain around 5 feet for each setting you are away from 3. So 2 gets you 5 feet lower, 1 gets you 10 feet lower and 0 gets you 15 feet lower.

So use the line out divided by 2.7 formula and then add 0, 5, 10 or 15 ft depending on your setting.

Where did you get that chart that seems to be a lot closer to where my dipsy's are running, when I use the 3 to 1 I hit bottom when I should have been a lot higher up. Thanks for that info. Makes more sense.

This should help. Once again these are averages but it semi accurate within a few feet in my opinion. I keep these charts in plastic sleeves for all the sizes in a small binder on my boat. I have it relatively memorized now tho :)

dipsy_diagram.jpg

I used the new Fishhawk TD and was shocked where my divers were running. I was trolling at 2.4 mph...The diver was set at 2 1/2 setting and was sent out slow to 240 feet....The TD said 60 foot. I thought the TD unit was off, but I tested it on my down rigger and it was spot on..... I confirmed the depth was right by going into 60 feet and the diver hit the bottom with 240 feet of wire out.

Was my line counter on my reel off? Probably......So new reels and different wire went on..... The best thing I did was put out the fishhawk.... Now I don't have to guess where my divers run. The great thing about those units, when the current is cranking, you can do a quick test to see exactly where your running.......

I used the new Fishhawk TD and was shocked where my divers were running. I was trolling at 2.4 mph...The diver was set at 2 1/2 setting and was sent out slow to 240 feet....The TD said 60 foot. I thought the TD unit was off, but I tested it on my down rigger and it was spot on..... I confirmed the depth was right by going into 60 feet and the diver hit the bottom with 240 feet of wire out.

Was my line counter on my reel off? Probably......So new reels and different wire went on..... The best thing I did was put out the fishhawk.... Now I don't have to guess where my divers run. The great thing about those units, when the current is cranking, you can do a quick test to see exactly where your running.......

Yes, this is due to the inaccuracy of your line counter. Most line counters (so I hear) are calibrated to give an accurate measurement of line out when the reel is FULL. Imagine one wrap around on the top of a full reel is around 1 foot of line. When the spool is empty one wrap around might only be 4" of line. The line counter works on rotations of the spool. So if you have a full reel or an empty reel, it says 1 rotation is 1 foot of line. That simple.

This is why a lot of people use a backing on their reels to get the wire right up to the top of the spool (if you have a big reel), or why some people spend lots of care getting a good reel that fits 1000 feet of line perfectly. So the first 100 or 200 ft that comes off is pretty accurate - you may be 5 to 10% shorter than the line counter says - but not too far off. After that the accuracy drops off big time.

Where did you get that chart that seems to be a lot closer to where my dipsy's are running, when I use the 3 to 1 I hit bottom when I should have been a lot higher up. Thanks for that info. Makes more sense.

I looked at the Precision Trolling Big Water Edition II - it has all the charts for mono, wire, braid - for different dipseys, weights, etc.

Mark

• 5 months later...

I was just checking out these apps and I think they just use the standard chart...but there is a problem in the chart: Desired depth 45 w/o ring on 2 setting is a typo. It should be 124. The desired depth 10 line is also odd in that its the only one not on a linear ratio relationship. Not a big deal I guess. Even better than those apps though is you can use a best fit line in excel to figure out the equation and download a free iSpreadsheet app to create your own. :clap:

Size #1 dipsy you will not get below 70' unless you put the setting on .5-1 and troll REALLY slow. The size #1 will plane-out and stop diving any deeper once you hit 250' of line out. Mag diver on a 1 setting will get you to 115' down with 350' (before planing out) of wire out at trolling speed of 2.25-2.4 mph. Remember a factor not discussed in the diving curve is how fast you are trolling (downspeed) and the bait you are using. You will get deeper with a spoon than a heavier dragging flasher.

Mark B. - The author of Precision Trolling Big Water Edition II admitted to someone on the UPAngler Forum that the tables were reversed and inaccurately placed by the printer when the book was laid out....the guy that bought the book got his money back by contacting the author.

On a #1 Dipsy the avg ratio with the o-ring is 2.3, without is 2.9 on the 3 setting. But take a closer look and you will see why some find the depths are way off.

For 10' w/o ring on 3 setting chart says 30. Perfect 3:1 right? nope.

For 15' its 2.3:1

For 20' its 2.5

For 50' its 3.6

Its not linear. Don't know why exactly but it probably has something to do with diminishing returns due to line drag overwhelming the dive.

Thats why I programmed my own app with a best fit line. I'd be curious how the actual chart holds up to the fish hawk test and how line diameter affects the table. And does line weight (stainless) have an impact vs braid or mono. I cannot find any tables with this info...