Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but i am stumped....what is the limt on salmon if i go on line a read the rules for lake ontario it says i can only catch one atlantic salmon...some of the pics i see it sure look like there is more then one salmon per person what am i missing.. ill be making my first trip up to ontario since i was a young kid this weekend

Thankd

Adam

Atlantic have thier own creel limit of 1 fish and Lake Trout have a limit of 2 fish. All other trout and salmon are lumped into a single limit of 3 in any combination.

As a result, you can actually keep 6 salmon/trout a day provided 2 are lakers and 1 is an Atlantic.

Three in combination per person...no more than 1 Atlantic and it must be 25 inches. All steelhead must be 21 inches minimum. Lake trout is no more than two and one has to be less than 25 or more than 30 inches. One can be in that slot limit.

Entire catch can include, three salmon or trout, of the chinook, coho, steelhead, brown species....AND ...ONE Atlantic over 25 in.....AND 2 lake trout one in slot of 25 to 30 in. one longer or shorter than that....in the case of that combo 6 fish in combination...THIS IS A CORRECTED STATEMENT! ...Sorry for the misslead.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Not surprised my post would cause some consernation. Here is a link to the regs: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31423.html

Each fish is in its own row on the table. There is no overarching statement that states 3 in any combination for the first 3 rows of the table. The words "in any combination" is clearly confined to the row for Brown trout, rainbow/steel head trout, chinook, pink and coho salmon. Catching 3 from the top row, 2 from the 2nd row and 1 from the 3rd row IS NO different than catching a limit of kings in the morning and then going perch fishing in the afternoon. You could keep 3 kings from your morning trip and 50 perch from your afternoon trip.

Yes, you need to keep in mind all the minimum and maximum lenght issues as well.

Not surprised my post would cause some consernation. Here is a link to the regs: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31423.html

Each fish is in its own row on the table. There is no overarching statement that states 3 in any combination for the first 3 rows of the table. The words "in any combination" is clearly confined to the row for Brown trout, rainbow/steel head trout, chinook, pink and coho salmon. Catching 3 from the top row, 2 from the 2nd row and 1 from the 3rd row IS NO different than catching a limit of kings in the morning and then going perch fishing in the afternoon. You could keep 3 kings from your morning trip and 50 perch from your afternoon trip.

Yes, you need to keep in mind all the minimum and maximum lenght issues as well.

so do you think if you limited out on kings in the box early you could keep fishing and say you are fishing for lakers or atlantics?

[quote="bandrus1

so do you think if you limited out on kings in the box early you could keep fishing and say you are fishing for lakers or atlantics?

1. You can tell them you are fishing for Atlantics, or Lakers to add to your box.

2. You can tell then you are now fishing for any of the fish in the same species section on a catch and release basis. In this case, tell him you are fishing for kings on a catch and release basis.

From the regs: •A person may continue to fish for a species while in possession of a daily limit for that species provided all fish of that species subsequently caught are immediately returned to the water. See below for special provisions made for largemouth and smallmouth bass.

3. You can tell them you are fishing for sheeps head (they will hit on salmon lures)

4. You can tell them you are fishing for perch but, aren't very savvy on the proper techniques.

5. Tell him you are in compliance with all fishing and creel limits and point him towards Ray K's boat

In the end, all you need to say is "Officer, I had a great morning. I got my limit of kings early and I'm still enjoying the day fishing"

oh wow i didnt know that... In that past I had released kings when I had 2 on the stringer while fishing in the river because I thought once you have a limit kept you must stop

thanks 4 clearing that up

I was stopped on the river once and told I couldn't keep fishing because I had my limit. I knew better but it wasn't worth arguing with a warden over so I left the area. I'm not 100% sure all the wardens know the regulations (in any state!). At home here we have them telling people they can not fish once they have their limit they must stop targeting that species. As Jekyll said how do they know what you are targeting. So they wait until you catch a fish that you already limited out on and once you net the fish to let it go they get you for possession over your limit. Not sure it would hold up in court but the theory is to release the fish you have to posses the fish. I never heard such a thing until a couple yrs ago when some people early on in the season got tagged for the above actions. I always thought possession was what you left the lake with.

The official wording reads like this:

Take or Taking: Includes pursuing, shooting, hunting, killing, capturing, trapping, snaring, and netting wildlife, and all lesser acts, such as disturbing, harrying, worrying, wounding, or placing, setting, drawing, or using any net or other device commonly used to take wildlife, whether they result in taking or not. Includes every attempt to take and every act of assistance to every other person in taking or attempting to take wildlife, provided that whenever taking is allowed by law, reference is had to taking by lawful means and in lawful manner.

Yeah that pretty much opens it up to writing a ticket at any time. I have my limit of fish and I need to drive back to the boat ramp. I motor over fish and they are worried, Ticket!

I don't eat the fish anyway so to prevent being ticketed for the above reason we release fish and leave before we limit out.

At least it appears in the NY reg's to be written clearly.

Spike

The fish an angler catches and immediately releases uninjured will not be counted as part of the daily limit for that species.

A person may continue to fish for a species while in possession of a daily limit for that species provided all fish of that species subsequently caught are immediately returned to the water. See below for special provisions made for largemouth and smallmouth bass.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31416.html

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I knew going in that this thread would raise some discussion. If you ask 10 guys on the lake, 8 of them will say you can only take 3 fish, 1 will say the correct answer and 1 will say he doesn't know. 5 of the group will add they don't care because they have never caught that many :o