Hot Lure:

Trolling Speed: 2.8-3.2 sog

Down Speed: 2.4-2.6 Subtroll

Boat Depth: 220-500'

Lure Depth: see below

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Started my morning off with a surprise visit from my good buddy Anthony who dropped off my cooler - boatside - loaded with ice and he wasn't even fishing today!!! Talk about a great friend. I fished with my buddy Chris B. today who drove in from Watertown. We started right out of the channel with my boat alarm going off again from last week. Temp was fine, lower unit fine, oil presssure fine, so we decided to pul the temp sensor and in five minutes we fixed the problem and were on our way.....whew....

We started in 220' and headed on a NW troll and we had steady action all day, but our biggest problem was keeping fish on. We started 1 for 8, and that included a broken fly leader on a real pig of a king, three bent hooks, and lots of scratching our heads. The two bent hooks were on White/green dot spinny/Hammer fly combos on 225' wire and the large king was a broken fly on a 42 sec/green glow fly combo on 300' copper.

After we figured out how to catch these guys, we had steady action on two riggers (85 - 115') both with fixed and free cheaters. We MUPPED one rigger with a DW mag and SS Seassick Waddler and also had a bite.

We had a few doubles and hit some nice schools of steelhead later in the day - 380 fow - and they liked the mixed veggie spoon 85' down on the rigger and the Bob Fuller king of sting as a free slider on the same rigger.

The folowing all caught fish today:

Rigger 85' -115' - NK 42 sec. spoon, DW mixed veggie, DW super glow Buffalo Bill, DW seasick waddler

Sliders - Bob Fuller King of Sting

Wires - 225' -250' - white/green dot SD/Hammer Fly, Green Nuclear SD/42 sec fly, 42 sec Flasher/Fly, Gator SD/ green glow fly

Copper 300' and 400' - gator SD/mirage fly, Dreamcatcher Glow UV/Hammer fly

Good luck to all,

-Chris

IMG_0419_1.jpg

Had a good brown bite off of Shipbuilders in 70-90 FOW. We had a fishing derby at our I- Bay Fish & Game Club and tried to put a brown in the money. Got 3rd with a 11.3lber. Landed 14 others in 2 hrs. 0630-0830. Headed offshore for big boys and had no trouble hooking up but not so good boating em. Went 5 fer 10, nothing big.

Awesome report! It seem as if the current hooks are not sea worthy for these brute lake sharks.

Someone has mentioned about using crazy glue to reinforce the strength of the knots holding the treble hooks. There was a thread somewhere and I ll dig into this deeper.

Motoman - which brand hooks are you using now?

Tight lines!

We had an insane bite fishing the same area, pretty much doing the same thing as you. Salmon did some damage to us as well. At one point, we had both wire dipseys and the 300 ft copper tangled and our planer board broke off all at the same time. Took us out of commission for 1 1/2 undoing that mess. Before that we were getting them 3 at a time. Hope it lasts a few more weeks.

Thanks guys - it's hard to see in the pic but the DW Mixed Veggie spoon actually split on the green edge from one of the salmon we landed!! What the heck is going on this year with these brutes?

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve the landing rate, let me know....lol

Hearing the same thing from lots of the guys this year. I think we are definitely being tested by these bigger, stronger fish this year. What we used to get away with may not get it done this year. Frustrating losing tackle, but having some great fights. Funny how we dont hesitate to replace it though.

We typically replace all the hooks with steel ones. I don't trust those hooks with big fish expecially with sliders and wire sets. We have lost a lot of really good fish and tackle this year. We had cheeter swivels blow up, line bit off above the lures, nicks in the line (poor maint), big fish just coming off,,

The fishing has been great. Fall derby is just around the corner. :) Good Luck and be Safe!