Species Breakdown: King, rainbow, laker

Hot Lure: SD/Fly

Trolling Speed: 2.5ish

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 120-150

Lure Depth: 80' rigger, 200' mag diver, 250' std dipsy

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

Okay, sometimes it pays to play hooky. Decided i was going to work from home today and as such, would sneak out early for a couple of hours fishing at first light. Got to the launch around 5:30, slipped out to 100foot and dropped lines just before 6am. Had a yellow NBK on the rigger set down 60foot to start and then moved it to 80' as it got deeper and there were baitfish marked. But NOTHING hit the rigger, so last we will talk about that line.

Set the Starboard diver w/std dipsy on#2, with a green nuclear SD and green hammer fly, back 225' and then set the port diver w/mag dipsy on #1 with a white pearl glow SD and blue hammer fly back 150' to start. The south wind was really picking up as I got out to 120fow and it was easier to head north east, since I was flying solo. Starboard diver goes ......thought at first it was a laker, got it to the back of the boat and it was an absolutely beautiful 6lb rainbow. See the pic below, which does not do it justice for the color it was. Just then, port diver goes, i backed the drag off, but i wanted to get this rainbow back in the water before worrying about the other fish. Well that cost me the fish, but the rainbow is back for another day! :)

As I re-set lines and sent a text of the bow to a few friends, I slipped out to 145fow and the starboard dipsy starts thumping and screaming like I have not seen my rods do. I have a 10'6" Daiwa Heartland river rod and this fish looked like more like I had hooked bottom. All I can say is that I am not a salty dog, with 25+ years of downrigging, but I have been doing this now for 10 years and have never seen a rod double like this and start screaming like this. I backed the drag off....grabbed it and just proceeded to watch 300......400......500....I put a little drag back on it, just to get ready...fish took a run at the boat.....reeled as fast as I could to catch up to it....it turned and took me to 600'....All I could think is I wish I could clear lines, cause if I get another hit now....I'm screwed. This fish was a beast coming to the boat. Thank goodness it did tire, cause when I got it to the back of the boat, I knew it was my record. It did manage to go around the downrigger cable, no matter hard I tried for it not to. Put the rod in a holder, backed the drag off, grabbed the dipsy and leader and managed to slip the net under this fish and there......it was over. It was now in the boat. My scaled bounced between 27-28 lbs. FINALLY a landed king over 25lbs! Have had a few in that 23-25lbs....have handed rods to other people that turned out to be 27lb kings.....but am happy to have landed my own 27lber!

As I recently read from someone, I used my bowline, did a quick slip knot over the tail and let the fish drag in the water for a few minutes while I cleaned and reset everything. By then, the fish seemed much more alert and I let it go, to hopefully spawn a new generation of fish. I was happy that it was not over 30lbs, cause that is my bogey for mounting it and I dont really have the $$ right now. HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Waves and wind were making it hard to fish solo at that point....I pulled a laker on the mag diver shortly after, and then decided to call it a day at 8am. Still......3 for 4 in 2 hrs, with a couple fish like this.....I call that a GREAT DAY OF PLAYING HOOKY....

Tight Lines....Jason

====================

6lb_rainbow.jpg

27lb_king.jpg

is that a gaf in the pics?? If it is, i'm sure it's illegal to even have it on the boat. Just lookin out for ya.

It does kind of look like it doesn't it. Don't actually own a gaff....that is actually just the hook on my fish scale. I had been trying to hold the fish out away from my body using the scale and take a picture with the camera phone.....but it was not far enough, so I just laid the fish down, leaving the scale hooked in its gills, before putting it back into the lake! :) But thank you for the concern, I wasn't even aware of the concern with gaffs.

J

If 30lbs is your milestone to mount, you better start saving... a couple more weeks and I won't be surprised if you hit that mark! Lots of em around this year and it's only a matter of time!

Nick