can't catch a darn thing

Hey folks,Ive been out a few times in the past week marking at lot of fish

anywhere from 70-120 fow,im throwing every thing I have at them and can't get nothing to hit,im kinda of new to this, im using some flashers with 2 foot leader using flies,lures,stickbaits,even hammer head cow bells,got one 8 lb coho two weeks ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated.My boat is a new R18 Robalo,using two Big Jon Pro terny DWR,along with Okuma convector line couters,GTL rod and 20lb flea flicker,did have braid on but the fleas were terrible.Trolling at aprox.2.4

as the wind allows.Thanks

is that 2.4 speed at the ball/lure or your GPS (speed over ground)?

If at the ball I would slow down just a touch. If that is GPS then I would speed up to about 2.7.

I have found most of the times due to currents that a 2.7 GPS speed the lure is going about 2.0 to 2.2.

Every boat fishes a little different but that seams to be my sweet spot. How deep are your lures at? What port are you fishing out of ? You are going to need to give us a little more information to help you out.

Every year, off the Genny at least, Early-mid Aug, there's a big band of fish in that 70-80 ft range that will drive you freaking nuts. My advice - go deeper & find something that will bite.

But seriously, try stopping & let lures settle, then put it in gear. Another trick with clean spoons - pop your line loose from the rigg'r & let them come up by themselves.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Im fishing out of Oswego, usually straight out from the steam plant, when Im by myself I usually just throw two lines out off the dwr, I have tried messing with the dipsey but for some reason I haven't figured it out,its fine when im trolling but some how comes over and tangels with my dwr,the only thing I can think of is making turns in the choppy water some how crosses. My riggers are 20-30 back and 70-90 feet down,the dipsey is set to like 3 to get it out and away from the boat and back 100 or more ft. Any how The speed is my gps speed, makes sense the actual lure might be running

slower,I have been targeting the 70-90 feet down on the riggers,lots of fish marked all around that depth, I went a little deeper last week and got a bunch of mussels

and hooked into something big that took my lure and cowbell,so im shy of trying to bottom fish.

Those shallow fish can be difficult. Except maybe first thing in the am. This time of year try a cut bait rig. Fish shallow first couple hours then slide out deeper. Run dipseys on a 2.5-3 setting. Let everything out slow. Keep your turns very wide. Experiment with speed. Listen for your riggers cables to hum.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Thanks for everyones imput, learning, speed can make the differance. the suggestion was made to try bait rigs,so Im getting a few from A-TOMMICK in Oswego,

wondering what every ones is using for the cut bait and where they are getting it,

is it canned or fresh,what works better? thanks

Sounds like dipsy's are set to run out the wrong side. Set your dipsy on L to run out the right side if facing the rear of your boat. Almost always tangle with my riggers if we get the dipsy set on the wrong side of the boat.

Same speeds as Richards work well for us.

Use whole strips meat rigs with teaser heads. They are really good this time of year.

Shallow fish that are staging - very difficult to catch them for all of us. Reason is when a salmon gets ready to spawn its stomach shrinks and they stop feeding. You will mark tonnes of big fish but nothing will move. The only time they really feed is really early in the morning from 5:30 to 7:30 AM - after that it is a waste of time, unless you go to the blue zone where the two year old class is sitting. Then you will get fish, but not huge fish - in the teens.

My riggers are 20-30 back and 70-90 feet down,the dipsey is set to like 3 to get it out and away from the boat and back 100 or more

reillym,

Shorten you rigger leads to 15 to 25 feet. Your dipsy on a three setting out 100 feet is only getting down 20 feet if it is mono and about 30 feet if it is on wire. Chang that to a 1 1/2 setting and send it out atleast 200 feet. If you are using wire that will get you down about 70 feet, mono will be a little less. My wire rig runs a little better than a 3 to 1 ratio.

I am in the Fair Haven Challenge this weekend. Are you going to be fishing this weekend?

I appreciate the advice,dwr back 15-25, I think i grabed the wrong dipsey the other day,I should have looked,I had one set for each side a couple of weeks ago but didn't use them again till the other day,I need to mark them, at 56 and retired the ol'e mind doesn't work like it use to. Atommik is out of meat rigs I'll have to see if Larrys has any.

what meat is it that every one is using and working out there?

Going out this weekend will be tough,have plans for the fair and if its choppy out there its tough by myself to get the lines in and steer the boat,practice makes perfect except for docking which is still a challenge, besides I was out there Sunday and it was like grand central station and you get the few that just fly by ya and get right up on ya.During the week is my choice weather permitting. Thanks

I will be out Thursday afternoon and most of the day Friday. If you are out there give me a shout and let me know who you are. I will give you what I can for information for that day.

Thanks Richard, if I make it out on thursday or friday i'll ring ya,what channel,whats the name of your boat? I haven't even started to think about naming mine,maybe over the winter, Atommik-tom allen is out of things,I picked up some meat and meat rigs today from Larrys, there calling for less than 1 foot waves tomorrow,so looken like I will get out there provideing something doesn't come up,I usually watch my Grand daughter a couple times during the week and my boat has to go back to Krenzers, its already been there twice for two weeks total, and I just got it June 27th so my fishing days this week and next are numbered.

Thanks

Mike

Hello

Hey Richard,I took your advice,i was out yesterday afternoon rigged up the cut bait for the first time on one dwr and dodger and spoon on the other,and played with the speed as you said to listen to the dwr hum,I got it there,just started having many false releases, I guess to much drag on the release and I was wrapping 4-5 loops ,Im using gator

releases and another famous brand,slowed it down just a bit and wham there goes the cut bait rig,20 minutes later had a 30lb cow,I was doing something wright,Learned a little bit more.Probably won't get back out till Sunday,but any more advice is welcomed.

As far as going out with a charter captain who teaches or someone who teaches

some where let me know who and where.Ive been out with a few over the years

last couple were with I believe his name was Tom Young,he retired last year.

Thanks

Again

As far as going out with a charter captain who teaches or someone who teaches some where let me know who and where.Ive been out with a few over the years last couple were with I believe his name was Tom Young,he retired last year.

Cold Steel might be the hottest tournament boat on the lake, and they fish out of Oswego. Hat Trick, TK, and Tall Tails (member of LOU) are other great charters that comes to mind. Let them know up front you want a charter to learn how to catch a few fish. Maybe go out on an afternoon trip for less money just to learn some basics and ask questions. They might even let you rig under their supervision. Just be upfront and honest with them.

Thanks everyone for the recent advice and compliment,hopefully to be back out on Sunday,my new boat is going back to Krenzers on Monday for more repair work,two month old boat and been out there three times, Robalo sent me a piece of work, any how lost a lot of time fishing but will still have a couple of weeks left when I get it back. Good Luck to everyone!