Losing copper

I recently purchased a couple pre-rigged copper set ups from two different tackle shops. I lost the copper section (along with SD/fly) on both the first time I used them. The first was a 500 ft which popped off the release. When reeling it in a bit it just broke, off it went and all I was left with was the braid. I thought it could have possibly been a poorly tied knot. The second (200 ft) broke off when popping it off the release to bring in. This time I knew it wasn't a knot because the braid was still in the release and it had broke a few inches after the release point. Anyone else have the braid break on them? I could see if maybe I was trying to REALLY horse a fish in but this was with nothing on the end of the line. Is it possible there's a bad batch of braid out there? Both reels had green 50 lb power pro. I ran the copper out on the big boards with 2 light rubber bands half-hitched to the braid. I've ran a 300 ft rig for a couple years the same way and haven't a problem.

Don't pop copper out of the release. Reel it in and un-snap it. I have seen pre-rigged set-ups fail for other people. Learn how to set one up and know your hard work won't let you down. I'm not sure where you live, but if your around the Oak area I can show you how to rig one up.

I cannot trust a pre- rigged copper. I ran one out the first time and the knot was so HUGE. And just sloppy looking. Needless to say it got back home, fortunately in one piece, and I replaced the crappy knot with Cortland c-16 hollow core braid for a smooth wind on splice both for the backing and leader. If you don't have the hollow core patience, learn the way Rick does his cause he is a copper fishing fool!...but very good at it too!

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

If I buy copper in a bulk spool, how to you measure off the correct amount? Right now I have 2 tekota 800s for a 400 and 500 ft rig and a Saltist 50 for a 200 ft.

YT - I'm in Lancaster so I would be able to come out to the oak on my next week off (9/16-22) if you're still in.

Oh yeah, and go O's!

If I buy copper in a bulk spool, how to you measure off the correct amount? quote]

I use a wheel that surveyors use it measures in feet. Super simple and buying in bulk saves you money. In the past I have also used paces which I matched to the wheel. Whatever you use be consistant. 8 years ago when I would buy copper spools in Ithaca for 18.00 dollars at the local tackle store we used a 100ft contractors tape and spooled it on a 100 at a time.

Good Luck!

You can buy a line counter that goes on your rod. I just tied up a few. Used spro swivels for all connections. Tied in 15 ft of 30 lbs big game to hook the release too. Used haywire twist and improved clinch knots. If you already have backing on your reel. Hook the copper up and reel till its full. I don't measure it. I just switched to blood run which is a slightly smaller diameter. My 300 might be a 350. My 500 might be a 570. But they catch fish.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png