flasher/fly rigs on the smaller fingerlakes

Does anyone have any luck trolling flasher,sd/flies on canadice and hemlock? Just got into trolling last year and have had great luck so far with spoons and minnow baits so far. I know they work great on bigger lakes/ontario, but don't hear much about the smaller lakes. What colors/styles typically produce? I don't plan on adding a wire/dipsey rod so I would be running it off a rigger or leadcore. Is ten# big game too light for running these rigs off a rigger?

Thanks in advance,

Zack

Hi Zack, I would take some 20 lb Floro use an albright knot and just add a 100 ft or so over your ten. That way if the flasher and flies don't work for you just go back to your last set up. You want a heavier line with flashers off riggers. As for colors don't go nuts to start. For spin dr white crush, mt.dew, water melon, white with gr dots, all crush fish. Flies we use Big Weenie brand, start with something green like the Reel Hooked up fly, then white also like the Seneca Ghost, the Iron Duke fly off the water melon flasher is a great rig also. I would also find a way to get a wire line rig you wont be disappointed. And you can get all the stuff at HVS in elmira.

10# is to light for the flashers and flies!!   They pull harder than a spoon and If the line twists they will be gone, and thats pricey.    Those trout think they are and on the big lake and will smack them.  A green protroll and uv green fly,   White with a mirage or white fly are a good place to start.    Like the others have said a wire dipsie rod won't disappoint.

Edited by Big Dave

Hey bud I troll flasher fly setups out of my kayak on 7 color and dipsey braid setups and get lakers also get alot of monster smallies on them, I use to struggle getting fish trolling the yak till I started to use my big lake setups now I catch fish everytime I go and it's tough tocontrol speed with the yak but I never take the boat always enjoy the paddle down there :yes:  My hot colors have been mt dew spinny with hammer fly or white on white combo

Edited by 33canuck

When I first started using SD/Fly combo I ran leads to long and went much to slow. The guys on this forum helped me. I run 6' to 8' off rigger and run speeds from 1.8 to 2.5 mph. When I ran long leads off the rigger I had problems with line twist . The shorter leads give the combo a good whip. Wes

Could I get away running 30# powerpro braid as a dipsey rod? I don't have to worry about fleas or big kings on canadice/hemlock

yes, you certainly can. a wire set up with dipsy is best, but braid works also. as long as fleas are not an issue, they will stick to 30lb braid. use mono from dipsy to flasher for a little stretch.

Hey Zack the first time I ran spin Docs off my riggers I was using 12 lb Big Game on the riggers. When I was done fishing and pulled up the lines I thought the releases were stuck so I pulled s little extra hard on both and the same thing happened "snap!" ( I think they had wrapped around the downrigger wire on a turn :>)and both spinneys and flies are on the bottom now....might want to use heavier line....kind of expensive lesson ....

I also fish Canadice and Hemlock and let me tell you be sure you have a driver if you do decide to run dipsys. The size one dipsy will spin your boat around as soon as it hits the water. Last year i began using them on the fingerlakes (always run on big boat) out of my 14 footer at canadice. I had my riggers about 3 foot up from me because the ebam wasnt wide enopugh to run them off the back. No my boat tracks pretty good if I climb up front. Now i attached the rod holder i was going to use for the wire rods about 3/4 of the way up the boat and as soon as the dipsy hit the water it spun me right around. After some practice i got pretty good at deploying them out at the exact same time but i moved my rod holders to behind the riggers right by where I drive. Now sturdy rod holders are a must but metal ones arent a necessity like they are on Lake O. The fish simply dont get as big.  The plastic cannons you can get at dicks i run. Hope this helps and good luck. Maybe I'll see you out there some day.

• 4 weeks later...