I/O and Water Temps

MWOLF451

I was wondering when it is safe to run a boat with and I/O motor. I was told that it is too cold right now and I might have an issue with freeze up. I have seen some boats out and was wondering whether or not it is safe to launch. I have a 260 Mercruiser. Thanks. 

I respectfully disagree with Doghouse. It can still get down into the low twenties, if not lower, at the end of April. If you have shore power at your dock, you can always plug in a light and run it during the cold nights under your motor cover. If not, you can sit at home and worry and pace around your house and wonder if your motor is going to get damaged.

It's unlikely that your block will freeze after only a few hours of sub-freezing temps. but I've never been able to "stomach" the worry that it causes me when it gets below freezing and I don't like taking the chance.

A few years ago when it got below freezing one night in April, I took an aluminum cooking pot and added an inch of water. I set it near the deck of my inground pool to mimic my boat being on the water. The next morning the water in the pot was frozen solid. That was enough of an experiment for me to wait until the threat of freezing has subsided before I launch.

Good luck,

Chris

+1 with Chris.  "Weather" the water expands or not, I'd worry about it & I'd much rather miss a couple weekends of fishing than have to sit out a couple months & the expense of a major overhaul.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I'd actually be much more comfortable with the boat in the slip than on a trailer once the engine has been un-winterized.  The water in the harbors has got to be in the mid-upper 40's by now and with the boat in the water and the engine down at the water level, it's very unlikely to see the block get cold enough to freeze. 

On a trailer, not a chance, I'd use it. but I'd be doing what Chad (Gill-T) does and bring the winterizing jug with the muffs and 4 gallons of RV antifreeze and re-winterize the motor in the marina parking lot after each use.

I normally leave the boat in the slip in the fall as long as possible for the same reason.  I feel it is much safer sitting in the warmer marina water than it is on a trailer until I'm ready to winterize it for the season.

Tim

I'd actually be much more comfortable with the boat in the slip than on a trailer once the engine has been un-winterized.  The water in the harbors has got to be in the mid-upper 40's by now and with the boat in the water and the engine down at the water level, it's very unlikely to see the block get cold enough to freeze. 

Tim

+1

Here is Central NY April 15th as a good rule of thumb is a good date to un-winterize.  Even if your parking your boat in a slip your water jacket on your motor will always be out of the water.  I will keep a work light on hand and even a old blanket to through over my motor while its in its slip.  My motor is a 3.0l so draining the water jacket is very simple.  Im always VERY aware of the temps outside around this period.  As mentioned above low 20's would scare me!

• 2 weeks later...