April 27 I-Bay with the loons and a King

East from the bay in 10-20 FOW for 3 miles,.....clear water....42 degrees..calm..slight SSE breeze...The pack of boats was off Shipbuilders and seemed to be East bound,.....Avoiding the Planer boards was the First order of the day.......Why do boats run TWO boards out so dang far,..? One guy had at least 50 yds on port and same on starboard,.....come on,.....Lake Hog....

Then the clown in the Red Tri-hull...stalled again and was adrift ....in my lane,...so,.I chucked and jived around the planers boards and the drifting boat.....He must have had his dog in the boat as he finally reeled in 4 yellow birds and 2 flat lines.....I got around him and took N to open water....jeeez

50 FOW started showing bait and marks,....random depths...42 degrees...popped the propwash deep diver on my 12lb test.....40 min later,...the epic battle had a 36" King in the cooler.....No one around but the Loons,......the feathery type,.....the other loons were still in 10' water.....no nets flyin...

With that,...I called it a wrap.....done at 10am..

post-151849-0-28880300-1367437178_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the site "Kid".   You're going to run into guys with boards out a lot farther than that.  Don't get excited about it out there tho, cuz raising your blood pressure also causes you to "sweat" a chemical out the skin of your hands that'll get on your lures.  It drives the fish away.  (ask your doctor)

Best thing to do is to head out and away from them as you found out.  Fishing is always best away from the pack. 

:)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

BTW - a 36" king is a nice fish for this time of year.

Good going on that King....good fish for Spring.....I had to laugh at your post..."been there done that " it never ceases to amaze me (even after all these years) that there are so many "yahoos" that never seem to "get it" .

Good job on the king - that's a nice fish this early. The I-Bay/Rochester area are great ports with lots of folks willing to lend a hand and fishing tips all year long. FWIW, I agree with Tom - life is too short to get so worked up when you're fishing. You'll see many fishermen/women running dual planers - me included (look for the yellow Trophy)  so don't let it get your blood boiling. The nice thing about the basin between Rochester and Webster is there's plenty of fish to go around so if it looks crowded, stay clear of the pack and your bound to still catch fish.

Keep sharing your reports and welcome to the site.

Good luck on the water,

Chris

So is there a problem with running both boards when your closer to shore? Or is this one of those "unwritten rules" that I should know before my first voyage on the Big O?

So is there a problem with running both boards when your closer to shore? Or is this one of those "unwritten rules" that I should know before my first voyage on the Big O?

There is NO unwritten rule on running two planer boards and NO rule on length.  I have 150 foot on each of my planer reels, but rarely put them out more than 75 feet, running 2 flat lines on each.  But Charters and boats with a slew of guys that know what there doing will run 3-4 lines off each and sometimes put out 100-150 foot from the boat.  So it does take up some extra space, but with that length of shoreline it should not be an issue, as much as it is say at the river, where boats are trying to circle or figure eight a post stamp of stained water coming out.  Then it can get a little hairy, unless you stay on the outside of it all or go off shore! :)  

Thanks for the yuks yuks,....

I get the deal,....just never had more than a garage full of beer drinkin buddies to whine to,.....until now....

Fishin is.....you dont know if you dont Go,.....!

Tight Lines to all..!